Keyboard based assignment of Labels and Ratings: Separate assign/deassign?

Started by ubacher, December 14, 2014, 04:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

New in 5.2.18

If I press Ctrl-1 will I be setting a rating of one star?
That depends:YES only if it does not already have that rating!
This means one can use keyboard based assignment only if one has a display
of current ratings/labels visible
. (Or one knows for sure that there are no assignment existing.)
This is no big problem with thumbnail displays
but in the viewer it is quite a pain to switch the display to Collections panel only.

To show the inconvenience:
I have category and favorites and slide strip panels open. (Or - of course - no panel at all)
Here is what I have to do to get Collections panel only view:
T-V, T-F, T-S, T-S, T-S, T-S, T-C

to get back to review mode is easier:
T-V, T-E, T-S and if not wanted T-C.

Because of this inconvenience I would prefer separate keys for assigning and deassigning labels and ratings.

A more convenient way to switch panels in the viewer would help - not only for this case.

What are other users thinking about this issue?

Mario

QuoteIf I press Ctrl-1 will I be setting a rating of one star?
That depends:YES only if it does not already have that rating!
Sure. If the file already has a rating of 1, setting a rating of 1 will remove the rating. That behavior was explicitly requested several times, because other frequently used applications handle this the same way way, and it's more way convenient to be able to toggle a rating/label/collection instead of remembering the "off" keyboard shortcut for each rating, label and collection separately. Press <B> to set a bookmark. Press <B> again to remove the bookmark...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I forgot to mention:

The Viewer does not show the rating/label only in the collection overlay. You can also see the rating/label of files in the film strip when you enable the Detail display, and also in the status bar of the Viewer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on December 14, 2014, 11:26:18 AM
You can also see the rating/label of files in the film strip when you enable the Detail display, and also in the status bar of the Viewer.

And in the Viewer, you only need to press the number you want to assign (no control key needed). I find this very convenient for assigning ratings to images.
John