"Auto search for masters & versions for new & updated" - without auto propagate?

Started by Ferdinand, December 17, 2014, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdinand

The option "Automatically search for masters & versions for new & updated files" is only enabled if automatic propagation is also enabled.  This means that IMatch won't identify a new version unless the auto propagate option is enabled, i.e. if I want manual propagation.  This means I need to find the master and refresh file relations.  Not all that hard but tedious if it happens a lot.

Would it be possible to de-link this two preference options, so that I can "Automatically search for masters & versions for new & updated files" without auto propagation?

DavidOfMA

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on December 17, 2014, 12:47:56 PM
The option "Automatically search for masters & versions for new & updated files" is only enabled if automatic propagation is also enabled.  This means that IMatch won't identify a new version unless the auto propagate option is enabled, i.e. if I want manual propagation.  This means I need to find the master and refresh file relations.  Not all that hard but tedious if it happens a lot.

Sorry, Ferdinand, for my question, because I do not understand fully. I have enabled "Automatically refresh relations", but NOT "Automatically propagate data from master to version" (I make this manual), hence the third entry is greyed out.

But when I have nefs in my db, and then I do create new versions with Photoshop and store them on the harddisk, after a rescan all nefs are then masters (with the orange icon) and the new files are versions (with the blue icon). So IM does identify new versions, but does not propagate them. This I have to do manually.
What do I misunderstand?
(If this question is too silly, I can it later delete, I do not want disturb your feature request.)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

Quote from: sinus on December 19, 2014, 12:27:42 PM
But when I have nefs in my db, and then I do create new versions with Photoshop and store them on the harddisk, after a rescan all nefs are then masters (with the orange icon) and the new files are versions (with the blue icon). So IM does identify new versions, but does not propagate them. This I have to do manually.

Not a silly question.  My problem is that this is not happening for my Fuji RAF & JPG. 

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on December 19, 2014, 01:44:45 PM
Quote from: sinus on December 19, 2014, 12:27:42 PM

Not a silly question.  My problem is that this is not happening for my Fuji RAF & JPG.

Oh, so in this case I vote also for this, because if this would not work for me, then I would vote anyway  ;D

+1
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

In light of our discussion on a related issue, I've thought more about this.

I think that the hierarchy of these two options should be reversed.  At the top of the hierarchy should be "Automatically search for masters & versions for new & updated files", and a sub-option of this should be automatic propagation. 

This order makes sense, as you have to find masters & versions for new & updated files in order to auto propagate, so identification comes as the first question in a logical sequence and then the auto propagation question.

It makes sense to me that many/most users would always want to find the masters & versions for new & updated files, but not all of them would want to auto-propagate.  If BenW was still here for example, he is very anti-propagation, and so he would want to find versions and masters as easily as possible, but absolutely not propagate.

Ferdinand

Related to this feature request is a new bug report about "Automatically search for masters for new and update files".
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4908.0
There's no point making the change suggested in this FR if that option doesn't work.  Hopefully you can kill two birds with one stone.