Specify folders as Masters for versioning rules

Started by DavidOfMA, December 24, 2014, 04:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidOfMA

The ability to identify a master folder for versioning rules as the only place to look for masters would be a great help to those of us who keep all masters in a single folder tree. The current method results in misidentification of versions as masters when auto scanning for masters is turned on. Manually rescanning the masters folder tree for new versions is very time consuming and could be avoided by adding this feature.

Mario

QuoteThe current method results in misidentification of versions as masters when auto scanning for masters is turned on.

IMatch never misidentifies a version as a  master, unless you use file names which cannot be uniquely identified as masters. In your case this is what happens. Due to the nature of how you name files and distribute master and versions on your system, IMatch cannot tell masters from versions. This is not a bug, this behavior is by design.

The feature you request here would solve your specific problem. Let's see if other users have the same problem and let me know by commenting on your feature request.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DavidOfMA

I know this is not a bug, but because I used folders and category names, rather than a file-naming scheme, to distinguish versions from masters. That's why it's a feature request. Were I starting fresh, I'd append characters to distinguish versions from masters so that my system would work with the way versioning turned out to be implemented. In 2001, there was no reason to do that, and too many images are embedded in too many projects to rename them all now. My proposal would allow either way of organizing a database to work with versioning, should there be others who also organized by folder and/or category instead of filename.

Ferdinand

Quote from: DavidOfMA on December 25, 2014, 02:58:57 PM
Were I starting fresh, I'd append characters to distinguish versions from masters so that my system would work with the way versioning turned out to be implemented. In 2001, there was no reason to do that

I can sympathise with this.  I was very fortunate in some of the decisions I made about file naming.  But also I've been through a lot of pain on a couple of occasions to do large scale file renaming and folder reorganisation exercises.  Even now my file names are still not perfect, and I'd like to do another file renaming exercise, but like you they're too embedded in external things.