All three dates lost from Core Data, images reassigned current year in timeline

Started by waterwombat, January 04, 2015, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwombat

Hi,

I have a heap of images that I have been recently imported into imatch.  Some of these  have not been correctly assigned on the timeline, and the date fields in the metadat core data are all blank.  All these images ( that are from several different years, and form different cameras and folders on the computer , have been assigned to the date on which they were imported ( ie January 2015).  However when I look at the files in windows explorer, date, Date created and Date taken ( and tags, exported from Picassa) are correct.  1912 out of ~40,000 files only have been affected.

I am unsure whether this occurred immediately on import, or following some drag and drop of @keywords categories, since I did not notice until I went to the timeline and saw the images incorrectly assigned to 2015.

What can I do to fix this - the dates and keywords tags are all still associated with the files in windows but have somehow been lost. or not imported into Imatch.

I have attached screenshots of imatch and explorer windows highlighting a few of the files with the error.
I am using current version of Imatch ( checked for update today)  and windows 7 I have attached the logfile bak ( since this error did not ocurr in the current session but may have been in the previous one.

thanks for any help you can offer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

This looks like you erased all the metadata in that file? Nothing at all is shown, the MD panel is empty...???
Select the file and press Shift+Ctrl+F5, then choose reload metadata. Does this re-import the metadata from the image file?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

waterwombat

That has restored the data.  Not sure how I deleted in in the first place. Nearly all the files have now been reallocated to their correct date

Though now showing correct dates are still in "2015" I tried the database tools > reset timeline, but still  a small number (36) files are "stuck" in 2015.

I managed to fix these by manually copying and pasting the date again within the metadata window before re-running metadata writeback.

Thanks again for the great support you provide.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The date used for the time line is derived from specific EXIF/XMP metadata tags.
Search for date and time in the help index and then click on EXIF to see the details.

If IMatch cannot find any of the required timestamps in the file, or the timestamps are invalid, IMatch falls back to using the "Last modified" timestamp reported by Windows for the file. Which would explain the 2015 time slot the images went into...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

I've come across a related issue. I had a photo that I used to create a smaller version (using IMatch, output inadvertently without metadata). I did this on January 1, so the file had a modified date of 1/1 with no other dates, and it appropriately showed up in the Timeline under 2015.

When I noticed that the output file had no metadata, I copied metadata from the original and pasted it (XMP only) into the copy. Now the copy has the following date information, but it still shows in the Timeline as 2015.

[System]        File Modification Date/Time     : 2015:01:04 12:55:31-07:00
[System]        File Access Date/Time           : 2014:12:31 23:10:54-07:00
[System]        File Creation Date/Time         : 2014:12:31 12:20:48-07:00
[IFD0]          Modify Date                     : 2015:01:01 19:32:29
[XMP-exif]      Date/Time Original              : 2014:11:09 17:57:00
[XMP-photoshop] Date Created                    : 2014:11:09 17:57:00+00:00
[XMP-xmp]       Create Date                     : 2014:11:09 17:57:00+00:00
[XMP-xmp]       Metadata Date                   : 2014:12:31 22:55:23-07:00
[XMP-xmp]       Modify Date                     : 2014:12:31 22:55:23-07:00

I tried doing a Force Re-scan, but that didn't change anything. I know date handing is very complicated, but I would have thought IMatch would have recalculated where this file belonged. Note: I copied the file to a different folder, and this copy shows up properly under 2104. So apparently IMatch doesn't necessarily recalculate its date information? Should there be a function similar to the Categories Reload/Refresh button for Timeline?

John

Mario

The ModifyDate in IFD0 is probably what's causing this. Update it or remove it, it is not consistent with the XMP data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on January 06, 2015, 07:33:17 AM
The ModifyDate in IFD0 is probably what's causing this. Update it or remove it, it is not consistent with the XMP data.

It turned out to be easier to just copy the copy back to the original location, which took care of the odd IFD0 tag.

I still don't understand why IMatch continued to place the original file in 2015 after I'd added the original 2014 metadata back to it, or why it properly read the date after I'd made a copy of the original. The copy still has a 2015 IFD0 ModifyDate , but now it's interpreted correctly by IMatch for the Timeline to reflect the other metadata 2014 dates.
John