Multi Key Shortcuts

Started by Lord_Helmchen, December 26, 2014, 03:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shall Multi Key Shortcuts be introduced for Favorits?

No, one character is sufficient for me.
5 (50%)
Yes, two characters would be appreciated (one character still possible).
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Lord_Helmchen

As discussed in another thread (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3955.0), I'd like to have the option of Multi Key Shortcuts for favorites.

I'd like to speed-up category assignments by using keyboard short cuts. But as I'm also getting older, I don't like to remember "randomly" chosen short cuts, I'l like to have them "structured".

As example, I have the following categories:
Country|Germany
Country|USA
Animal|Goose
Person|George
Person|Uwe

So with current scheme (only one character) I have to decide what <F3><G> will become - and how I assign others.

My proposal is not to allow up to two characters for short cuts (but one still possible - of course "blocking" this character for two key short cuts). So that I could use a structured way to assign short cuts.

CG Country|Germany
CU Country|USA
AG Animal|Goose
PG Person|George
PU Person|Uwe

Of course there will still be some "collisions", but much less than now.

ChrisMatch

+1
Thanks for this feature request!

I love using the keyboard and I even use a program (HotkeyP)
to remap keyboard shortcuts to my liking or invent new ones  :D

So to me it is not a big problem that iMatch does not allow to define
own shortcuts (with the exception for favorites) - I just use HotkeyP.

BUT this way it is not possible to define key sequences which
would be brilliant to generate memorable shortcuts
(e.g. for all those important categories, keywords).

Lord_Helmchen

Exactly. The theoretical number of short cuts (with Ctrl, Shift or Alt) are sufficient, but I won't memorize, and so won't use them.

ColinIM

Like Lord_Helmchen, I rarely trust my memory to remember more than a few shortcuts, and even more rarely the multi-key ones, so the available key permutations are enough for me ... at present.
Colin P.

Lord_Helmchen

Colin, probably I was not clear enough.  :-[

I couldn't remember "randomly" assigned shortcuts like F3-Ctrl-G for Germany and F3-Alt-G for Goose.

But I could remember things in a structured way like F3-C-G for Country Germany and F3-A-G for Animal Goose.

I think with this way, a few dozen of "standard assignments" would be pretty easy to remember.

I hope now its clearer what I meant.

ColinIM

Ah! I see now what you meant in your follow-up note! And - silly me - I hadn't spotted that the original Poll was yours too, sorry!

Yes, to have the flexibility to be able to devise structured or mnemonic-like key sequences would be a definite bonus, for sure.

But I fear that - for me - even with those extra (hoped-for) key-patterns I'd still be glancing around my desk hoping to spot the 'hot-key-reminder chart' that I would certainly have chosen to print  :P rather than trusting my recall ...

(So, not a big issue for me either way, but I opted to add weight to the Poll overall by coming 'off the fence', so to speak, and adding a vote.)

Cheers again,
Colin P.