Long waiting with 600 selecte images and Metadata open?

Started by sinus, January 16, 2015, 02:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hello
For editing Metadata usually I let the Metadata-Browser of IM open. Easy and simple.

If I select then 50, 200 or 300 images: no problems, the Browser shows "(Multiple Values").
This takes 1-2 seconds.

But somewhere about 600 images, when I select these, IM5 takes forever, I can nothing do. Sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 3 minutes and more. Sometimes I have simply to "kill" IMatch.

Can someone confirm this behaviour?
If yes, I would create a feature request, maybe Mario could do something, say, over 500 selected images, the browser should show nothing or I do not know.

And always hide the Browser is a bit akward, at least for people, who works a lot with it.

Thanks for a short test.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

IMatch has to merge the metadata from all selected files ti update the Metadata and Keyword panel (so you see where there is no data, mixed data etc.). IMatch does not load more than 2000 files in the Keyword Panel, or 1000 files into the Metadata panel. You get a warning if these limits are exceeded.

How long this takes depends entirely on your hard disk, database, how much metadata to load, which layout you use etc.

For example, if you have the metadata panel in browser mode (where IMatch has to load all data for each file) and each of your files has 500 tags, IMatch has to load 30,000 metadata fields from the database, compare them and merge them. If you show only 30 tags in the default panel, IMatch has to load merely 1800 fields.

Since you work with NEF files, each file may have between 400 and 800 tags. Over 1000 if you edit with LR or Capture. Unless you have told IMatch to skip a lot of the non-needed tags in the Tag Manager, that is.

3 minutes is ridiculously long. Even for browser mode with 1000 files.

Is IMatch busy (high CPU load)? How many tags do you show?
The log file would allow me to see what IMatch has to do and how long it takes.

I've made a few checks with a 70,000 files database (mostly RAW images) and 966 selected files. It takes only maybe 4 to 6 seconds to load data for 900 files in Browser mode. Depends on the disk (SSD, hard disk) and if IMatch already has cached data for some of the files. But I don't import all the maker notes from Nikon anymore (thanks to the Tag Manager), so may results may vary from yours.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook