Difficulty with CSV Import Module

Started by Grasbeak, January 18, 2015, 07:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grasbeak

I still use IM 3.6 and I thought it was time to see if I could get my workflow to work in IM5.  I had previously dabbled in IM5 upon its initial release.  Yesterday I downloaded the trail version. 

In IM 3.6 I use an external database to create an .xls file and I read IPTC metadata using the Import IPTC from .xls script.   I ultimately update all my metadata (except EXIF) through this workflow.  I prefer this method, perhaps mostly because I have invested countless hours over two decades building a database that will create scientific classification system for my files.  The external database is also more familiar to me than trying to develop something within IMatch.

After a little concern that data-driven categories may only be able to produce 6 levels - Using images containing dot-separated IPTC I was pleased to see that indeed my dot-separated categories were able to produce the 8 level category tree some of my photos use.  Thank you!

One area integral to my workflow where I am still stuck is that I am unable to get the Import CSV module to work.  I created a test IM database with 3 images, but I did import from a CSV document with ~30,000 records.  I initially tried comma separated import without success (import seemed run to completion, but I could not see metadata in the image file after import).  Since some of my fields (caption) also contain commas, but likely not tabs I retried using tab-separated text.  I cannot get tab-separated import to work - the import process does not seem to end (I interrupted after six hours).  After several more hours of trying, I thought I would ask some basic questions.  I will continue experimenting with the module and will go forward by creating a simpler .csv file.

Should I be able to import a tab-separated text file created with MS Excel using this module? (I assume the answer is yes)
Is this module my best option (as opposed to trying to update IM 3.6 a script) if importing metadata from Excel? (I assume that answer is yes). 
If I want to assure that my IPTC fields (primarily Object Name, Copyright, Province/State, and location) are updated should I have this script import into IPTC and let IMatch then update the XMP; or am I better off importing into XMP and letting IMATCH automatically update IPTC from those?

Thank you for any guidance.  At this point I just want to make sure I am on the best path.

Brad

Ferdinand

There's a whole page in the help file on CSV importing.  Just search for CSV.  It may address these questions.  The help really is very good.

Mario

It would help if you would give us more information to work with:

1. A sample of the CSV data you want to import
2. A screen shot of the CSV import module so we can see your settings.

As pointed out by Ferdinand above, check out the IMatch help for the CSV import module. It contains specifications about the expected format, which options control what etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Grasbeak

Thanks guys.  I had looked at the help, but obviously not close enough.  I was not using fully qualified file names.  Instead I was using names that worked with the old Import IPTC script and the same with extensions - the old script would work with "DS001".  The new system requires not only the extension, but the path "c:\DS001.jpg".  I sure like the old system better, but I will adapt.

I had also overlooked the required quotation marks - oddly (?) MS Excel does not seem to add quotation marks. 

I got the module to work on a test file I edited manually, I can get it to work from there.

Thank you for your patience.

Mario

IMatch of course needs the full file name, with path, how else could it find the file? (Except you store the file in the same folder as the import script which you maybe did in IMatch 3...)

There is a browse button (...) which allows you to select the file and the import script remembers the last used file name.

Quotations are only required under specific conditions, see the help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook