A new link added to IMatch's Wikipedia page

Started by ColinIM, January 20, 2015, 04:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinIM

In yesterday's Forum Announcements Mario you told us about R.P. Ambrosi's superbly very well written Review of IMatch 5 and its Role in Social Science Research, which he posted in his blog on January 12, 2015.

So I've done the "obvious thing" and added a link to Mr. Ambrosi's excellent article on the IMatch 5 Wikipedia page  ;D
The new link is the third "External Link" near the bottom of the Wikipedia page.

There's certainly 'room' on that list for many more links like this one, so 'keep em coming ...'  :)

Colin P.

Edit: On reflection I changed the superlative I used in my first sentence above to "very well written" instead of "superbly written", because - even though they don't detract from the overall high quality of his blog entry - the still wonderfully-talented Mr Ambrosi has left an 'uncomfortable' number of typo's and fragmented sentences in his article.
I know ... I'm too much of a pedant really ...  :-[
Colin P.

Mario

Thanks for linking and maintaining the Wikipedia entry     
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Sorted

I haven't had time to do more than scan through the article. Unfortunately, the first thing that struck me were some solecisms. However, I am looking forward to reading the review when I've time.

Mario

Quote from: Ferdinand on January 20, 2015, 08:41:20 AM
This forum needs a "Like" button.
There are 'ad-ons' for SMF for this kind of features. There is also an extension to allow user to rate a post - which would be nice for feature requests, for example. Problem is that these extensions are developed by volunteers and if they don't keep up with changes in SMF (the software that drives this community), they may break the community after an update...or open security holes... So far, I decided to keep it simple and use only the out-of-the box SMF version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Don't want to rate a posting.  I follow a couple of forums where there is a "like" option.  vBulletin has it and so does IP.Board.  Pity there isn't something native to SMF to allow you to compliment someone without taking up space.

ColinIM

Thank you chaps!   ;D

Quote from: Sorted on January 20, 2015, 09:14:22 AM
(....) the first thing that struck me were some solecisms. (....)

I haven't seen the word 'solecism' used on the internet for a long time  :) . Nice!

Colin P.

sinus

Quote from: ColinIM on January 20, 2015, 03:53:08 PM
I haven't seen the word 'solecism' used on the internet for a long time  :) . Nice!

Colin P.

Is that another word for error, fault?! Is it then a bit old-fashioned?

I ask for real interest, I have no idea.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

RalfC

Quote from: sinus on January 20, 2015, 05:13:35 PM

I made a quick search: a grammatical mistake in speech or writing (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solecism)
Synonyms: (grammatical) mistake, error, blunder, howler, blooper (Google Translate, which came up "Fauxpas" as the German translation)

Regards,
Ralf

ColinIM

(....) Is it then a bit old-fashioned?

I think it's fair to call it (now) a rarely used word, and RalfC summarised it nicely.

I call words like this one 'words we forget we've forgotten', and no doubt they'll appear sometimes while reading in your own language Markus.  It's good to be reminded that they exist  :)

It's even better when, on a lucky day, as we're writing a letter (for example) and in full-flow, one of these rare words pops out of our mysterious sub-conscious and onto our keyboards, fitting perfectly into the text.  But that's also a rare event ... sigh!

Colin P.

sinus

Quote from: RalfC on January 20, 2015, 09:39:08 PM

I made a quick search: a grammatical mistake in speech or writing (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solecism)
Synonyms: (grammatical) mistake, error, blunder, howler, blooper (Google Translate, which came up "Fauxpas" as the German translation)

Regards,
Ralf

Thanks, Ralf, I have looked, but did not find such a good link like you.
Markus

sinus

Quote from: ColinIM on January 21, 2015, 01:17:55 AM
(....) Is it then a bit old-fashioned?

I think it's fair to call it (now) a rarely used word, and RalfC summarised it nicely.

I call words like this one 'words we forget we've forgotten', and no doubt they'll appear sometimes while reading in your own language Markus.  It's good to be reminded that they exist  :)

It's even better when, on a lucky day, as we're writing a letter (for example) and in full-flow, one of these rare words pops out of our mysterious sub-conscious and onto our keyboards, fitting perfectly into the text.  But that's also a rare event ... sigh!

Colin P.

Hi Colin
As usualy, your explanation is very well written, you should write a book, about whatever. I am sure, it would be very well written.
Markus