Focus distance metadata for Nikon

Started by Aubrey, January 30, 2015, 09:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

On my Nikon D300 there is metadata called Focusdistance.
I cannot find this metadata within IMatch.
When I use the ExifToolGUI then I can see it (see jpg below)

When I search the metadata to edit the layout I cannot find a metadata parameter that contains this information. (TagSelector.jpg)

What am I doing wrong?

The purpose of doing this is to be able to calculate DOF etc. from the metadata and attach this to the fileview.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ddprat

This metadata does not appear in the tag selector list but the value is {File.MD.Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0}
I use it but for display only in my specific Panel with this format {File.MD.Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0|numformat:float,3,2;postfix:m}

I hope this may help you

Aubrey

Many thanks ddprat

I have tried this parameter but not finding anything appearing on file viewer(I checked with another parameter and it appears, so its not a "writing" issue)

When I select group Nikon I can see the data you referred. (I note that when I double click on it nothing happens, hmmm  :-\ ) See jpg

There are other LensData options. I wonder if these are for different cameras (I'm using a D300)

I tried substituting LensData0204 for LensData01, but to no avail.

Aubrey.

Ferdinand

Can I suggest that you check the Tag Manager in Metadata2 preferences, and make sure that it's being imported?  Since (I think) 5.2.4 IMatch does not import a lot of tags like this, since most people aren't interested in them and they bloat and slow the DB.  I have a D300 and I reenabled the import of this field and I can display values for
{File.MD.Nikon::LensData01\9\FocusDistance\0}

ddprat

Aubrey, i am also using a D300 and have also the same problem with the tag selector, but this metadata is valid for use.

Ferdinand, in my case it is checked in the Tag Manager and the name appear in the Tag Selector but it cannot be selected as Aubrey explain it

Aubrey

Ferdinand, ddprat
Thank you for your help.
The items were not allowed in Metadata2 having ticked them the focal distance etc., they are now functioning.

This was the first stage in setting up computation of hyperfocal distance DOF etc. to be shown on file viewer.

I got the idea from the post https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4082.0 I installed the focuspoint plug in described by Mario in that email. The plugin also shows hyperfocal distance etc. I have some concerns regarding that calculation - different to what I get when using the equation f^2/(N*c) [f: focal length, N apperture, c circle of confusion 0.02mm). My calcs and my iPad app give same, but software is different. I have dropped an email to author to clarify.  Probably my mistake somewhere!

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Aubrey

Quote from: ddprat on January 30, 2015, 11:13:31 AM
Ferdinand, in my case it is checked in the Tag Manager and the name appear in the Tag Selector but it cannot be selected as Aubrey explain it

When I set my TagSelector as shown in attached jpg then I can double click on individual items.

Aubrey.

Ferdinand

This is what I see and how I select it.