Composite tags

Started by Aubrey, January 30, 2015, 01:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I'm looking for the the composite tags in the Metadata2 without success looking high and low within the tag manager (Nikon D300 camera)

[I had thought about computing DOF, etc., but on further searching the forum it appears that Mario setup so that these "computed" parameters can be imported]

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3700.msg24691#msg24691

Where do I find :

Flash, LightValue, CircleOfConfusion, FOV, HyperfocalDistance, ScaleFactor35efl, DOF.

Mario refers to having enabled these in the topic quoted.
A screen dump of their location in Tag Manager would be useful.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Ferdinand

I think at least some of these (FoV. CoC, hyperfocaldistance) are ExifTool composite fields and so you won't find them in the Tag Manager.  There was a thread recently about importing these.  If you find any missing then you may need to ask Mario to include them, which is what happened in the last thread IIRC.

Mario

Composite tags are imported by default, except some binary or redundant onces. You cannot see or disable them in the Tag Manager.
Composite tags are an ExifTool specialty and they have sometimes strange or unexpected behaviors and results. Which Composite tags are produced often depends on the file format and the availability of other metadata. I usually stay away from them, except for some historically grown specialties.  The same can be set about the various flavors of Nikon maker notes, which vary between camera models and firmware versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I can see composite for DOF and hyperfocal distance when I use the exif command processor. See jpg

I can also find the label depth of field in the composite tag and attach it to the metadata listing

Values do not appear in the metadata for {File.MD.Composite\HyperfocalDistance\HyperfocalDistance\0} or for {File.MD.Composite\DOF\DOF\0}. See metadata.jpg.

It is understood, from what Mario said in this topic (and in topic 3700 referred to above),  that these are automatically loaded and there is no user intervention. My files are 14 bit NEF (raw) files from a Nikon D300.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Eventually I want to use {File.MD.Composite\HyperfocalDistance\HyperfocalDistance\0} and the DOF  in footer 4 of the fileviewer.

Aubrey.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

I've tested some D300 NEF files, and the value is imported.
Did you try to re-import the metadata for one of your files using Shift+Ctrl+F5? Which version of IMatch do you use?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Mario,
IMatch 5.3.2 is used. In each of descriptions below CRTL-SHIFT-F5 has been applied, and Force Update selected

I copied some D300 NEFs to a new folder, created a new database  and loaded up  files. Everything is fine.
These are the same files do not load the parameters in my main database.

Then I included the folder that was addressed in the new database in my main database (Command |Add or update folders). Again these files do not fill the DOF or Hyperfocal distance tabs.

Then reopened recently created database everything is still shows up correctly in this small test database.

Therefore it appears that for some reason my main database is not loading these parameters.
I have run Database Diagnostics and Compact and Optimize; there were no warnings.

The main database was created long before you re-enabled parameters around 11th. November 2014. Could this be part of the problem?

Suggestions things to do?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

No idea. Tag Manager settings identical in both databases? Full group enabled or selective tags? Sometimes there are tags with the same name but which are mapped differently by ExifTool.

I works here with "old" databases as well. My small personal database goes back to IMatch 5 Alpha versions, and it pulls in Nikon maker notes just fine after re-enabling them in the Tag Manager.

I tried with files already in the database. OK.
I've added a couple other D300 files. OK.
I removed files from the database and then rescanned the folder to bring them back. OK.

Looks good from here.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

Works here too.  My production DB doesn't date from the beta testing, but it does date from the first gold release, and I see these tags that you're looking for in the browser.  But what is this "Nikon" metadata layout that you're using?  I don't have one of those.  Did you create it yourself?  Have you tried looking in the Browser layout? 

Aubrey

The "NIKON" is my custom layout, that I created myself.
I thought that perhaps the parameters were different from what was in the default layout. The browser layout does not have the parameters by default.

If I create a new database and attach images then everything is ok.

I now plan to make a copy of my main database and remove folders until it is a minimum size and then upload it for Mario to take a look at, preferably with only 1 image!

I have now reduced the database to 2 images (one NEF and one DNG) and the issue still exists. DB size is 28MB.
Are there any tools that I can use to investigate deeper into the database to see what is the issue?

Aubrey

Aubrey

Further analysis:
Ferdinand, commented "Have you tried looking in the Browser Layout".

My main database that has never had the Browser manually changed, does not contain Hyperfocal distance, nor DOF

The small test database I created does contain these parameters.

In fact there are many parameters missing from my main database Browser....

Aubrey.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

As documented in the help, the Browser layout shows all metadata imported by IMatch for your files. If the data is not visible in the browser layout, it has not been imported of the file does not contain the data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on February 02, 2015, 08:27:43 AM
If the data is not visible in the browser layout, it has not been imported or the file does not contain the data.

We know that the file contains the data, because:
1. seen in the Exif command viewer
2. data loads into new database

These composite data are automatically loaded (user has no control to disallow). Then why is data not loaded into current database?

Thanks, Aubrey.

Mario

As I said, I have no idea.
I would at least need your database and some sample files which exhibit this behavior.
You can upload the data to my FTP server and I will look at it when I work on this bug report.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator