How to search on user defined attributes?

Started by JMagyar, February 05, 2015, 02:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMagyar

In 3.6 one could search based on user defined properties (now attributes). I have looked at the help system and can not find how to search on  my custom attributes. They show up in the attributes but there seems to be no way to search on them.

ColinIM

Hi JMagyar,

Which search method are you using to search inside your Attributes?

For my Attribute searches I usually just use the Search Bar on the top of the File Window, with the File Window set to 'show' the files who's Attributes I want to search among - of course.

But for this to work, we need to tick the related "Also search in Attributes" option on the drop-down menu alongside the Search field (see my attachment).

Hopefully this is all you'll need to do  :)   but if you've already tried this then I'm sure another User here will pop in with a solution.

(Note that so far I only use (and only search for) plain text in my Attributes.)

Colin P.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

There is also the Attribute Filter in the Filter Panel  (If this filter is not visible in your filter panel, include it via the drop-down menu of the Gear toolbar button in the Filter Panel toolbar).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

IMatch 5 is much more powerful that 3.6, but in my view that power means a few basic tasks require a little more work.  Search is one of them.

First of all you need to know that search / filter works on the active context, i.e. what you see in the file window.  So if you want to search the entire database then you need to select either the database node in media and folders view, or @All in category view.  You may need to unpause the file window after the search / filter has executed in order to see the results.

The fastest way to search is the search bar above the file window, as Colin suggested, but as far as I can see, you can't configure it to search *only* in attributes, if that is what you want.  In order to do this, Mario's suggestion to use the Attributes portion of the Filter Panel is the way to go.  You may need to configure the Filter Panel to show the Attributes sub-panel, as I don't think it's shown by default.