Importing data into attributes

Started by Ger, February 10, 2015, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ger

I did create an attribute file set where one field has a reference to a to a global set.
If i now want to use the transcendent CSV File Import script (in the Import & Export menu) and select a csv file to import, I cannot select the reference field to the global set.

I assume this is BBD (Behavior By Design)?
If so, does somebody have a workaround to have both worlds: import data from CSV and have a reference field when entering data in IMatch?

Ger

Mario

Attributes which 'link' to another set internally use referential integrity - which basically means you can only set the attribute to refer to an already existing attribute. Quite complex. The CSV import script has not been designed to a) first check if the referenced set has the value you are importing, then b) use it or c) add it first and then use it...I did not want to do this so you cannot fill in reference Attributes by the import. It is rarely needed anyway.

The main purpose of this script is to import data exported by Excel or database systems, and there you never have to deal with secondary references.

But I've written this import module as a script for a purpose. It is intended to show how to create a HTML-based user interface which interacts with an IMatch script. And to demonstrate how to read and write Attribute data. Feel free to duplicate the entire script (it's in C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\scripts\system\Import Metadata into Attributes) to your User script folder. Change the name of the script in the BAIX file and then make whatever changes you require.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ger

Mario, thanks for the explanation, it confirms what I thought. I will play with the script.

Ger