Replacing OS hard drive

Started by heicron, February 19, 2015, 08:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heicron

Greetings everyone,

I will be replacing my hard drive that contains Windows and my program files. I want to make sure I understand what I read in the help files.
Will Pack and Go then restore all my settings after reinstalling IMatch?

My DB file and my image files are each on other separate hard rives and the locations will not change. I will run P&G prior to removing the old HD.

After re installation I run IMatch once.
Am I correct in thinking that when I start IMatch the first time, I will open my active DB and then run P&G?
All my settings, renamer templates and metadata templates will be restored?
Is it really that simple or am I missing something.

Thanks

Joe

JohnZeman

I replace my Windows and programs C: hard drive every year (and am about to do it again next month).  Same computer I just change the C: drive for preventative maintenance reasons.  Since I always clone the old drive to a new one all I have to do as far as IMatch is concerned, is to change the drive.  Boot up on the new hard drive and I'm right back up and running again.  Some programs need to be reactivated after a hard drive clone/change out but IMatch hasn't been one of them.

heicron

John,

I don't want to use the clone method because my primary purpose to clean out all the clutter. I do keep a Windows restore disk handy in case of total failure though.

Thanks

Mario

IMatch stores all settings in the special application data folder, and some per-user settings (e.g. your custom templates, if you have some) in the special "per user" folder. Since these folders contain data from all your applications, and often license data or other important stuff that you don't want to loose, you should always backup and restore the documents and user folder when you replace the disk. So all you need to take special care of is your IMatch database.

It's also easier just to backup the entire folder and then restore what you need after you have replaced the disk. This way you don't lose anything for any of your applications. If you don't want an application anymore, don't restore it's folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook