DNG files have triple-panel image

Started by muranod, March 01, 2015, 04:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muranod

I have a large number of DNG files saved from various version of Vuescan, including the most recent version. Imatch indexes these files, but both the thumbnails and previews show a triple-panel display of the image (see attachment). I installed the latest version of the Adobe DNG converter, version 8-7-1, but it makes no difference to the way Imatch displays the previews and thumbnails. I've searched the forums and elsewhere to figure this out, but have not found a solution.

When I save raw files as TIFF files, they display fine.

Here is the WIC Diagnostics report:

List of installed codecs:
   Codec 'BMP Decoder' for extensions .bmp,.dib,.rle
   Codec 'GIF Decoder' for extensions .gif
   Codec 'ICO Decoder' for extensions .ico,.icon
   Codec 'JPEG Decoder' for extensions .jpeg,.jpe,.jpg,.jfif,.exif
   Codec 'PNG Decoder' for extensions .png
   Codec 'TIFF Decoder' for extensions .tiff,.tif
   Codec 'WMPhoto Decoder' for extensions .wdp,.jxr
   Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder' for extensions .ARW,.CR2,.CRW,.ERF,.KDC,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.PEF,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRW
   Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder' for extensions .nef

Testing file 'E:\Vuescan-files\2015\RAW_2015\2015-scan0048.dng'
   Thumbnail: Codec ''
      (CreateDecoderFromStream failed (88982F50 Unknown error 0x88982F50).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec ''
      (CreateDecoderFromStream failed (88982F50 Unknown error 0x88982F50).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec ''

[attachment deleted by admin]

Winfried

The problem might be the missing Codec fpr *dng
I did a quick test with a Vuescan dng from a Epson scanner. No problem.
I have the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack installed.

Winfried

muranod

Thank you, Winfred. I didn't realize I needed to find and install a CODEC, esp. since I also have installed Lightroom and I do have a DNG converter. It's all a bit confusing. Also, I could not find a 64-bit CODEC on Adobe's site, though the 16-bit one works. Is there any detriment to using the 16-bit one vs. buying a CODEC pack?

Mario

You had no codec installed for DNG.
Unless you had this disabled, IMatch should have down a message while ingesting the DNG files.

Installing LR or other Adobe software does not install a WIC codec.
As far as I know, Adobe does not bother to ship a 64-Bit DNG, only a 32-Bit version.
There may be a speed difference or the 32-Bit codec may fail for large files because it cannot allocate enough memory. Adobe software is known to require massive amounts of memory for the tiniest bit of work.

There are codec alternatives. See, for example, the WIC codec know-how article in the IMatch knowlegde base:

http://www.photools.com/1167/wic-support-codec-availability/
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

muranod

Thank you, Mario. I didn't realize it had to be done manually. I will uninstall the Adobe CODEC and get the Fastpictureviewer ones. Always more to learn :-)