Database Converter Troubles

Started by Darius1968, March 08, 2015, 06:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Hi, I'm trying to convert an old database ("Nails-01.imd4" to a version 5 database ("Nails-01.imd5").  Unfortunately, I can't run a diagnosis on the old database first because I no longer have access to IMatch version 3.6 that would let me do the diagnosis.  The database conversion process seems to be successful, with the only thing that after the process has completed, there are four files in the target folder (Nails-01.imd5, Nails-01.imd5.insema, Nails-01.imd5-wal, Nails-01.shn).  When I again open IMatch 5 to open "Nails-01.imd5", the database opens with no files!  When I again open the target directory, there is only one file, "Nails-01.imd5", but it is only 12 MB in size, as an empty database.  It seem the other three files have mysteriously vanished!  What gives? 

Mario

The database converter produces three log files. Please attach these files.
See the database converter help (click Help in the converter dialog or press <F1>) for details about these log files, where to find them and how they can support finding problems during the conversion process.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Sorry, I cannot accept the terms of service and privacy regulations of your cloud provider. And it forces me to do so before downloading. Have you ever read all that stuff?

If the zip file is larger than 2 MB and thus cannot be attached, send them to me via email or upload them to my FTP server. If you don't have the details yet, send me an email and I will send you instructions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Okay, this reply is notification that I a little bit ago, uploaded a zip file, "(topic=4265) Database Converter Log Files.zip", to your FTP server.  It is the container of the Database Converter log files you requested. 

Mario

The database system throws an "out of memory" error.
This happens after the database has been created and IMatch starts to read and import the metadata. For this, the database converter puts every file processed into the background update queue (as IMatch 5 itself does it) and then lets IMatch do it's thing. Shortly after this happens, the database bails out with an out of memory error (unusual) and then the current changes are undone.

Does the converter display any messages? Did it crash?
Because undoing one transaction should not undo the entire conversion process, just the last operation (adding a file to the update queue). I see that IMatch tries this several times, calls rollback and then the log file ends, but IMatch is still working (!!!), the conversion process is still under way.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

No, there are no error messages in the entire process, which seems to just abort.  I use the term "abort" here because "IMatch Database Converter" just seemingly closes out without flashing any notifications.  What I can say is the process does indeed get past the point of creating all 95K (or so) individual thumbnails for the corresponding files.  It's after this step that a number of other steps take place quickly and then the database converter shuts down.