Recurring Database Errors

Started by Quin, August 29, 2016, 11:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quin

Every so often (roughly about once every two weeks) a group of sub-folders show with the little yellow warning triangle.  I run the Database Diagnostics which show that the database has errors, but it cures them, as shown when the diagnostics is run again.
Is there a reason, or any clues that I can look for, as to why this happens?

Mario

The yellow triangle is the off-line indicator. IMatch shows it for folders which it cannot longer find on your hard disk (e.g. when you move or rename folders outside of IMatch - which you should not do).

If you point your mouse at the folder, the tooltip also explains this. For a list of all icons used in the Media & Folders view, click somewhere in the tree to make it the active window, then press <F1> to open the corresponding help topic.

If you move or rename folders outside of IMatch, use the Relocate command to tell IMatch the new location of the folders. If you have deleted the folders intentionally outside of IMatch, use the "Remove folder from database" command in IMatch, or rescan the parent folder.

Errors in IMatch databases are a pretty rare thing. Since you did not include additional info about the nature of the errors and you also did not attach the diagnosis log file, it's impossible to tell more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Quin

Hi Mario,
Many thanks for the reply.  Yes, I was aware what the yellow triangle indicated.  The curious thing is that I had not 'touched' or moved these folders or files since they had been added to the database some time ago.  Also, after running Diagnostics all was well, showing that the folders & files were where iMatch expected them to be.
Next time it happens I'll make a copy of the log file!

Mario

Very strange.
IMatch displays the off-line indicator when Windows returns "folder not found" when IMatch tries to access it.
The only potential reason for this to fail are file-system security problems, maybe a virus checker blocking access, remote storage not having the folders on-line in time etc.
But even then IMatch re-evaluates the folder whenever Windows sends broadcast info about file system changes and thus IMatch knows when the remote source has mounted new folders.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook