Using Microsofts Synctoy (Says image was modified - I don't see it)

Started by kiwilink, March 10, 2015, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

Although I use True Image for most image backups, I use Microsoft SyncToy each day to compare my master images on my hard drive to my NAS backup images.  I use IMATCH everyday so I always know what files I modify or use "Metadata Writeback" in IMATCH if I modify an image.  Recently, I've noticed that SyncToy will identify to me that an image has changed in my master database of images even though I never changed it.  I'm assuming it is related to Metadata but I have not opened the image or modified it in any way.

I have attached an example.  The master image is the one SyncToy says has changed.  The backup is the same image that is stored in my backup file.  I must be doing something in IMATCH that is modifying the file but I don't know what.  I don't remember doing any rescans on the folder that contains this image.  I have copied these files to temporary directories so I could compare them so the modified date is irrelevant.

If anyone has run into this same issue and can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Did you use the Windows command line COMP command to compare the files binary?
If both files are in the IMatch DB, see if they both have the same checksum.
Or use Microsoft's FCIV too to produce checkums for both files and compare them.

The both attached files are binary identical.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Hi Mario:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I followed your advice and ran both COMP and FCIV.  I have attached the results (they both look normal).  Should I not worry?  Do these two tests compare bit by bit (right down to the Metadata)? 

I did see a WIC note recently from IMATCH so I went to the Nikon site and downloaded the WIC for my Nikon D7000 but I don't think this had anything to do with the image because it was shot with a different camera.  Could it be anything in my IMATCH Preferences from a previous installation of a release? 

Thanks!

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The COMP command compares files bit-by-bit. The FCIV tool produces checksums from the binary file. Both commands don't care for metadata or whatever, they work for all files. If the checksums match (as they did in my test), both files are identical. You may need to check your settings in SyncToy.

Windows IMatch checks if a WIC codec is installed for RAW files processed, and if not, you'll get a message. Seems that you so far relied on the built-in support for NEF files in IMatch, which is only working for NEF files older than 3 years or so. Newer NEF variants are only supported via WIC codecs. Installing a codec will not change your files - unless Nikon's WIC codec changes the NEF files in some way - but then COMP will tell you that the files are different.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

OK...thanks for the response and assistance.  Maybe I should stop using SyncToy.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Michael

Mario

SyncToy is pretty old (2009?) so maybe something more recent would be better. Or use RoboyCopy, which is a part of Windows and can do easy synching and lots of other useful things. IT guys use it all the time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ChrisMatch

Quote from: kiwilink on March 10, 2015, 04:42:27 PMThe master image is the one SyncToy says has changed.
One thought: Maybe the file content has not changed, but one of the attributes (e.g. the archive flag)?

lenmerkel

Quote from: kiwilink on March 11, 2015, 05:44:03 AM
Maybe I should stop using SyncToy.

SyncToy unfortunately has several bugs (easily searched by our friend Mr Google), and isn't actively maintained.

In addition to Mario's suggestion of RoboCopy, you could also look at SyncBack - a general-purpose backup, restore, and synchronization tool.
There are free and paid versions with different levels of features. The free version should be able to do what you're currently doing with SyncToy.

Len
Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

medgeek

+1 for SyncBack--I use it all the time.

I've only used robocopy occasionally for a couple of specific tasks.