IMatch Pack and Go. Why does it suddenly take soo long?

Started by nacho02, March 15, 2015, 10:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nacho02

Hello,

currently using v12.
I noticed yesterday as I used Pack and Go for the first time since the upgrade to v12 that instead of taking around 9 minutes to make a back-up and carry out a diagnosis, as was the case. It now takes around 42 minutes!

around 130.000 images in the DB.

I have not changed (knowingly) any settings, and I have added the pack&go.exe to the exceptions in the anti-virus sw. The disk is not especially fast, but it is the same as it was a week ago.

Does any one have a similar experience?

Thanks
Ignacio

Mario

If you are the same user who wrote me about this in an email yesterday:

Pack & Go now runs a full deep database diagnosis in order to detect database damage and corruption.

This step usually takes only a few extra minutes for a database as large as 130,000 files.
I just now made a test with a 145,000 files sample database (on a SSD connected via the slower SATA 3G) and the diagnosis step took 136 seconds, which I find tolerable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

oldhank

Just for information. With no known changes to my system, win 7/64biy 16gb mem., my backup went from 3 to 9 minutes.

dnh

Mario

The log file shows how long the deep analyzes step takes.

The reason for this change is safety. The older, faster check was apparently unfit to find all database corruption. The new deep analysis tests the entire file - the same deep diagnosis implemented as part of the diagnosis in IMatch itself.

This is a very disk-intensive process so the performance of your disk is the key factor. Something that takes 3 minutes on a simple cheap SSD can take 5 to 10 minutes on a regular hard disk, because the diagnosis may need to seek around a lot in the database when following index chains and suchlike. And seek times on SSD's are nearly zero. SSD disks are so cool, they should charge money for them. Ah, they do  ;D

If you don't want to run a diagnosis on the database while packing, disable the corresponding option. This is not recommended, however. Do this only if you run diagnosis in IMatch itself regularly and you keep database backups for several weeks.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Another data point for comparison -

• File size: 8.63GB
  • Folders: 8,055
  • Files:253,498
  • Categories: 2,607

Data base is on an internal SSD (files are on a USB3 direct connected hard disk)

Time to complete the IM5 database diagnosis: 178 seconds of which most (est. at 90%) was for the final step (Optimizing). Perfectly acceptable  :D

I don't normally use Pack and Go but, rather, use GoodSync to keep my two Master and Test PCs in sync with each other (1-way sync from master to test) and with a NAS where long term backups are kept. I run the diagnosis almost daily (during a coffee break).

nacho02

Hi,

@Mario: yes, it's me. In your reply in german I did not get the thing about how this deep analysis is new...

Thanks a lot all other users who seem to have much faster systems than myself.

Imatch 5 is really pushing my equipment to the limit. Time to invest in an SSD and 16GB RAM, I guess.

Thanks.
Ignacio

Mario

The amount of RAM is not important.
IMatch, like all database servers, greatly benefits from fast hard disks or SSD's.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator