BMP metadata

Started by hays_r, March 18, 2015, 08:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hays_r

I'm new to iMatch 5.  I've imported a bunch of slides scanned to BMP format.  Many are not correctly oriented.  Is there a way to rotate them lossless, or perhaps save a change in orientation to metadata? 

If I use Commands>image>Orientation (EXIF)...,  I get the error message "EXIF data not writable"..because of your Metadata 2 settings.  I see nothing in Metadata 2 settings that relates to this.  In fact, I'm not sure that BMP even has in-file metadata, but iMatch presumably can write a sidecar file.  Or must I edit this with an external application?

Suggestions please.

Mario

Hello, welcome to IMatch!

BMP files are a native Windows bitmap format. As far as I know, they cannot contain EXIF metadata.
You can losslessly rotate a BMP file in any imaging application which supports the BMP format (e.g. Windows Paint) or you use a virtual transformation in IMatch to tell IMatch how to rotate the image for display.

You can virtually rotate an image (without changing the physical file on disk) via the context menu in the file window. Right-click the file to open the menu, and then choose Rotate & Transform. To find the corresponding information in the IMatch help, type virtual into the Help Index.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook