Data Driven Categories

Started by Ceiriog, March 25, 2015, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceiriog

Is it possible to have data driven categories for a specific group of files?  e.g for files in a specific folder or group of folders, of for files in a specific category?  It currently seems that the only filter is based on file type.

JohnZeman

You can combine a data driven category with a formula category to get specific data-driven results for a folder or category.  I do this to keep track of which cameras and which lenses I use for my photos taken on each one of my vacations (see screenshot).  First set up your data-driven category to get data-driven totals, then take that folder and combine it with another folder (or category) of your choice using an AND formula.

For example the formula below shows all of the photos taken with my Canon 1D Mark IV camera during my 2014 Grand Canyon vacation.

"@Keywords|Zeman Photos|Years|2010-2019|2014|Grand Canyon Vacation" AND "Data Driven|Cameras|Canon|Canon EOS-1D Mark IV"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ceiriog

I was hoping to have iMatch create a group of categories based on an attribute.  For example, all my pictures have a Title and Description attribute.  All of my Vacation pictures are in a Vacation category and the title of each picture is the name of each trip.  If I could use Data Driven categories on Title just for the parent category 'Vacation', iMatch would then create the Child Categories automatically.

Mario

Data-driven categories work with all the metadata contained in your database. You cannot create data-driven categories on Attributes. I may add this in a later release, but so far there are not even feature requests for this.

Title and Description is usually kept in metadata (XMP description and headline tags) so the data is not only stored in the image file, but also available for data-driven categories. If you recently migrated from IMatch 3 and just kept your "old ways" you might consider changing your workflow to keep information in XMP rather than Attributes.

You can use a Metadata Template to copy your Title and Description Attributes into Metadata, if you want to go that way. You then no longer need these Attributes and can view and edit the Title and Description in the Metadata Panel, together with all other metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ceiriog

Thanks for your response, Mario. I have actually done this - I have a Metadata template that loads the Title and Description attributes into XMP Matadata.  I currently have a data driven category that extracts all the titles and groups them into categories by title.  I was looking for a way to further group the titles into sections such as Trips, Events, Holidays, etc.  I am sure I will come up with something, but may have to do it manually.  Have also been looking into how I might do it with Keywords.  Also, as you suggest, I probably not longer need to keep the attributes in my workflow as they are definitely redundant once I have loaded the information into XMP.

I would like to request a feature where you could create data driven categories for a specific group of files.  i.e. only files that in the current selection, or files in a specific category, or files in a group of folders.  I suspect the easiest would be all the files in the current selection, but will leave that for your consideration.

Mario

This is not the right board for feature requests. I don't search old posts in "General Discussion" for messages which may contain feature requests.
Please add a feature request in the feature request board. Other users can then comment and "Like" your request.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Ceiriog on March 27, 2015, 04:33:20 AM
I would like to request a feature where you could create data driven categories for a specific group of files.  i.e. only files that in the current selection, or files in a specific category, or files in a group of folders.  I suspect the easiest would be all the files in the current selection, but will leave that for your consideration.

Have you read the posting from JohnZeman?
Like he has wrote, this works very good and the possibilities are almost endless.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

JohnZeman

Quote from: Ceiriog on March 27, 2015, 04:33:20 AM
I would like to request a feature where you could create data driven categories for a specific group of files.  i.e. only files that in the current selection

If you want results for a selection of files you might try using the Statistic panel.  Between the Statistics panel and using a combination of Formula and DD categories you can already do everything you are asking for.