IM for minutes busy after startup

Started by christiaan, March 19, 2015, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christiaan

Hi Mario and other users,
Some time ago, we have mailed over the next problem. After starting IM 5 will appear a few minutes a small circle, indicating that IM is in progress. I can not continue working. Tricky. What to do about it? I sent a bug report to your email address. Wait more quietly.

With regards,
Chris Karman
The Netherlands

Richard

Hi Chris,

From my own experience and reading posts here, I have concluded that IMatch 5 users are, in general, too impatient. IMatch needs time to get all the things done that it needs to do. What worked for me was to start IMatch and then leave the computer alone for several hours. I did not check the log to see when IMatch finished but it didn't matter to me. It had gotten all its ducks lined up and I have had no problems since.

Mario

IMatch is doing a lot of things doing startup.

But many of these things depend on factors like database size, storage location (local SSD or remote NAS), file relations setup, category layout and dozens of other things. What is fast for a database with 20,000 files will take more time if your database has 200,000 files. If your database is on a remote NAS it will be 10 to 50 times slower than when it is stored on a local SSD. And so on...

You don't give us a lot of information here, and not even a log file. So we cannot say anything useful...

Please switch IMatch into debug logging mode  (Help > Support > Debug logging) - search for log file in the IMatch help for details.
Start IMatch, do some things, close it.
ZIP and attach the log file.
This will show us how much time IMatch is spending where, how large your database is and many other interesting things.

Do you optimize your database regularly?

I currently don't recall an email about a similar issue, and I answer emails usually within 24 hours. I handle between 30 and 50 emails per day.
If you have not heard from me after 48 hours, your email probably never reached me. Just sent it again, make sure you use a non-empty subject line and to mention IMatch somewhere.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I have found your email. It's from today, 15:47 (two hours ago).
I have to process 64 emails before I can process yours.

A quick glance at the log file shows that your database performance is really, really bad.
Since your DB is on your C: drive and has only 50,000 files, it should fly.
This looks like some sort of virus checker is constantly scanning the database, bringing down the performance real bad. Did you check that?
Did you optimize the database recently?

I can say more when I had a look at your log file tomorrow after processing the other emails I have received last night and today.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Your database is indeed performing slow.

To load your database (50,000 files) IMatch takes 25 seconds. Which is not great, but may be OK for a normal hard disk.
What takes extremely long are all disk-intensive operations like calculating categories or collections.

Make sure no virus checker is monitoring/scanning the database file continuously. Some of the operations IMatch performs seem to block for 5 seconds or more without a reason, which may indicate some sort of external influence. Or maybe just the disk cannot deliver the data faster.

Please do this:

1.  Update to the most recent version of IMatch. Your version is pretty old.
I suggest you enable the weekly update check (Edit >  Preferences > Application (on by default)) and download and install IMatch updates when they are released. Each version brings bug fixes, performance enhancements and new features.

2.  Run a database diagnosis (Database > Tools)

3.  Run an Optimize (Database > Tools)

Then retry your test and see if this improves things. Attach the resulting log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

christiaan

Hi Mario (and others),

Maybe a little late, but here are my results after your advice. I have looked in the task manager which programs works without need and have it turned off. In addition, turn off the virus scanner for the database. The database, optimized and compressed (already happened recently). IM updated; in short all that was needed. The result seems is it works well. Of course sometimes wait for a revised calculation of the database, but that is no problem.

Another question: does it make sense to replace the C: drive for an SSD while the photos remain on a hard disk?

For now I am grateful for your advice.
With regards,
Chris

Mario

QuoteIn addition, turn off the virus scanner for the database.
Very important to disable the virus scanner for the folder (!) containing the database. IMatch creates short-lived temporary files in the database folder, and if the virus scanner blocks these files, IMatch will slow down. Search the help for Database and then click on Basis more for info.

Keeping the database on a SSD will massively improve performance.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Richard

Quotedoes it make sense to replace the C: drive for an SSD while the photos remain on a hard disk?

Mario did not address the photos on a hard drive so I will. Photos will be fine on a HD. It is the database that gains so much from being on an Solid State Drive with good specifications.