Issue with Pack and Go - Restore

Started by Aubrey, March 28, 2015, 11:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have been using IM5 on my DELL laptop while travelling. I have now reutrned and want to move everything to my main machine.

IMatch is running fine on DELL, shows up my user layouts in file viewer are fine.

I performed a Pack and go on my DELL (same user account name as desktop) no messages about problems.

Restored pack and go on desktop, but the restore failed see attached jpg and txt file.
Failed to extract the file C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config\imatch5.pts

It was unable to restore the imatch5.pts file. I re-performed the pack and go on laptop and restored on main machine with same result.

Can I simply copy the imatch5.pts file from my DELL location to desktop machine?

What would be the reason for the pts checksum error occurring on both times I performed pack (first time I made impag file on hard disk of DELL, second time onto USB memory stick).

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Update: tried the copy. Appeared to work OK. Only remains to question why the checksum error? Should this be recorded as a bug ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

A checksum error means that the file in the package and the file on disk after the extraction are different.
This should not happen because it indicates that P&G could not properly write the file. This usually only happens if the a) package is damaged or b) the extracted file is incomplete or corrupt or c) there is some weird security issue.

I frankly don't recall seeing this error ever. This just does not happen with today's modern computers and reliable hardware.

I would need the package and the original PTS file (which was used to create the package) for any kind of further analysis. See if you can reproduce this by creating a new package on your DELL and restoring it again? Do files again fail the CRC check? The same file? This would at least be a hint that on your specific configuration something fails.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Completed a new pack and go on DELL laptop.
Then did a restore of same impag on DELL laptop.

Same issue with check sum error for imatch5.pts. However the original imatch5.pts was over written with default one, file size 4 kb.

Then copied another copy of imatch5.pts to the folder on the DELL
Performed pack and go again and then tried to restore: now no problem.

So I can't repeat.

One of those gremlins, I can't see how this can be investigated further. Let's close the issue

Thanks,

Aubrey.

Mario

When P&G packs a file into a .impag archive, it performs these steps:

1. Calculate a SHA-1 checksum of the file on disk.
2. Copy the file into the archive, compress it on-the-fly.

When P&G extracts a file, it performs the reverse steps:

1. Extract the file from the archive, extract it to a disk file.
2. Compare the SHA1- check sum of the file on disk with the checksum calculated from the original file.
3. If the two checksums don't match, something went wrong.

Since P&G checks also for errors during packing and unpacking files to/from archives (and reports to the user if anything is not 100% OK) this usually guarantees a reliable and controlled backup / restore operation. Usually when there is only an error reported when extracting a file, there was a problem writing some of the file data (file system problems, weird virus checker interactions or similar). As I said, I don't recall that a checksum error was reported, ever. This has to be something specific which somehow happened only in your environment.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook