GeoTag Photos Pro and IMATCH

Started by kiwilink, March 28, 2015, 10:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I am planning a big trip and wanted to use the Iphone App "GeoTag Photos Pro" as my tracking GPS so when I get back I can automatically update all of my raw and Jpg photos taken with my Nikon D7000.  I have always used IMATCH to manage my photos.  I have read a lot of info about Geotagging and the ECP in the IMATCH discussion board. I also saw some info about GPX files.

My question is this:  Will it be a good idea for me to use this Iphone app so when I get back from my trip I can update several thousand photos using the GPX file from GeoTag Photos Pro.  Or, is there a better way for me to capture the geodata? 

In reading the discussion forum it appears that folks have run into problems with GPX files and IMATCH and I don't want to do anything that would affect my pictures that I bring into IMATCH.  If there is a better way for me to capture this data (other than buying a device that attaches to my camera) please let me know.  I don't want to have to manually copy and paste Lat/Long/Elev into thousands of images when I get back from the trip. 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Mike

Carlo Didier

I haven't tried to use GPX files with iMatch, but should you run into problems, you can use the free Geosetter. It works very well with GPX files and you have a number of parameters you can play with, for example if you forgot to set your camera (or phone) to the correct time zone or if you forgot to switch between "normal" time and daylight saving time.
I don't know how you transfer your pictures to the PC, but your download tool might also geotag your pictures using your GPX files. I'm doing that with Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems.

kiwilink

Carlo:

Thanks for the reply!  I am using the older Nikon ViewNX2 to transfer my images from the camera and as far as I know it does not allow for the use of a GPX file.  I have looked at the Geosetter but I use IMATCH everyday and I would like to have the map panel open and see where the picture was shot if IMATCH will recognize the geodata.  I saw that Mario has mentioned in a post that the geodata is stored in the XMP EXIF data.  I know that IMATCH shows all of my IPHONE 6 geodata in the map panel but I'm not sure about IMATCH and the GPX file. 

I know that the Iphone app "GeoTag Photos Pro" sends a GPX file to a dropbox file that  can be  imported  into Geosetter.  Again, didn't want to have to exit IMATCH to Geosetter to see where the pictures were shot.  Someone mentioned that the GPX file writes sidecars for the Nikon raw files.  I'm not sure because I don't know a lot about these files.  I will go look at the Downloader Pro you are using.  Thanks for the input.

Mike

PS I just saw a post that said the Nikon ViewNX2 modifies the raw .NEF file when it copies the file from my camera.  I did not know this and that scares me.

Ferdinand

I've used various GPS devices over the years.  I started with an camera-mounted unit, and then used a separate, small unit that I could carry in a pocket.  Currently I use an app on my phone.  With the units that produce tracking logs, I use Geosetter to insert the metadata into the image files or sidecars.  Works well.  + 1 for Downloader Pro for downloading, although I've never used its gps tagging capabilities.  I prefer the control I get in Geosetter.  Yes, it's another application you need to use, but who cares if it works well and does the job and is compatible with IMatch, which it is if you set the options correctly.

kiwilink

Ferdinand:

Thanks for the reply.  What app do you use on your phone so I can try it? 

Also, you mentioned using Geosetter and said "it is compatible with IMATCH if you set the options correctly".  Can you expand on this (the right options) so I can try a few images with Geosetter and then import them into IMATCH.

Thanks!

Mike

Ferdinand

Well, I'm on Android and use GPSLogger.  I have no idea whether there's an iPhone version.

By correct settings I mean whether you use XMP sidecars or embedded XMP for various file formats.  Like IMatch, Geosetter enables preferences to be set per file format, but its way of specifying them is slightly different.  You do need to study them carefully.  There is one thing that Geosetter can do that IMatch can't and which therefore should be avoided, and that is to use *both* sidecars and embedded XMP.

I could show you my Geosetter settings, but that would only make sense if you have the same metadata2 file format settings as I do.  My JPG and TIFF settings are default, but for RAW files I force XMP sidecars and don't allow EXIF of IPTC to be changed or created.  At least I think that's right - I'd need to check when I'm back on the desktop PC.

It was me who made the comment about ViewNX2 changing RAW files.  I've only seen problems caused by this a couple of times over the course of many years.  And it may have been an earlier version of View - I can't be sure of the current version has the same potential issue. So I don't want to overstate the problem.  But it was one of a number of things that made me very distrustful of Nikon software.  They have proved themselves clueless when it comes to software, and it only gets worse over time.  Sure, Capture creates the best colours as it incorporates Nikon know-how about their sensors, or it used to, but I almost never use it as I don't trust it and I find it user-hostile.  End of rant.

kiwilink

Ferdinand:

Thanks for the great advice here!!  I do get a little scared when I use apps that want to change my images so I will be really careful and just use a small test directory. 

I don't see the GPSlogger for the Iphone but thanks for telling me about it.

I appreciate the info.  Maybe Mario has some advice about the Iphone App "GeoTag Photos Pro".  I definitely don't want to do anything that would affect my images under IMATCH.

Thanks again!

Mike

Mario

In addition to the free Geo-Setter (which works well with IMatch if you configure both correctly, see above) you can also use ExifTool itself to import your track logs into your files. See the corresponding Geotagging with ExifTool page. There are tons of examples which show you how to import track logs into your files, individually or for entire folders. You can use that from the Windows command line or the ECP in IMatch itself.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Here are my preferences in the two programs for RAF and JPG (in Imatch JPG is default).

[attachment deleted by admin]

kiwilink

Mario and Ferdinand:

Thanks a lot for the replies.  I will try this out today. 

Ferdinand, on your settings below for your JPEF files do I understand where it says "overwrite original files" it will overwrite your JPEG?  When it does that is it just writing in the GPS info but keeps all of your keywords and other metadata in tact? 

Thanks!

Mike

Ted

Quote from: kiwilink on March 28, 2015, 10:20:07 PM
I am planning a big trip and wanted to use the Iphone App "GeoTag Photos Pro" as my tracking GPS so when I get back I can automatically update all of my raw and Jpg photos taken with my Nikon D7000. 

Mike, I had never heard of GeoTag Photos Pro until I read your post.  I had been using Holux Data Logger for years.  Same concept, but a stand alone product that I've had some reliability problems with lately (switch and battery related).  I've been using GeoSetter to extract the GPS info from the Holux log and insert in to the photos.  IMatch works fine with that information. 

Yesterday, I purchased GeoTag Photos Pro and ran a test with it today.  It is superior, in my opinion, to the Holux because it comes with a program that automatically matches the log and the photos based on time.  I also created a GPX file from the output and used GeoSetter as before with no problems.

I'm glad you mentioned the product and wish you well in your decision.

Thanks,
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

jch2103

Quote from: Ferdinand on March 28, 2015, 11:37:16 PM
Well, I'm on Android and use GPSLogger.

I hate to ask, but which 'GPSLogger' app do you use with Android? I just looked, and there are several apps with the same or similar names! Thanks.
John

kiwilink

Ted:

Thanks for the response.  Did you use the GPX file that went to your drop box from GeoTag Photos Pro?  And secondly, what options did you pick for you files (Overwrite or sidecar).  I have a Nikon so I have both JPEG and .NEF files.  I'm scared to overwrite my JPEGs because I know IMATCH is working great with my current images and I was a little afraid of letting GeoSetter to overwrite the JPEGS.  But if you did it, I should try it.

Thanks!

Mike

Carlo Didier

The "overwrite" in this case simply means that the geo data is written into the "original" file (the jpeg in your case) as opposed to making a copy of the file and write the geo data to that file.
Only the metadata related to the GPS is added to the file and no other metadata is changed.

Ferdinand

Quote from: kiwilink on March 29, 2015, 07:12:57 PM
Ferdinand, on your settings below for your JPEF files do I understand where it says "overwrite original files" it will overwrite your JPEG?  When it does that is it just writing in the GPS info but keeps all of your keywords and other metadata in tact? 

As Carlo said, what I understand ExifTool does is it takes a copy of your file, with all your metadata and inserts the GPS information.  It won't change any existing metadata unless you edit that metadata in Geosetter (you can use it as a metadata input tool if you wish).  Then if the overwrite option is not checked, it renames your original file as a backup copy and saves its working copy as the original.  However if this option is checked, Geosetter overwrites the original file with its working copy.  So having this option unchecked leaves a lot of backup copies in your file system.  I've never found it to be necessary.

Quote from: Ted on March 29, 2015, 07:59:26 PM
I had been using Holux Data Logger for years.  Same concept, but a stand alone product

This is the little yellow one that looks like a roll of film?  That's what I used to use as well.  The biggest hassle was the AA batteries, which are both a blessing and a curse.

Quote from: jch2103 on March 29, 2015, 08:06:22 PM
I hate to ask, but which 'GPSLogger' app do you use with Android? I just looked, and there are several apps with the same or similar names!

It's called GPS Logger for Android.  Its by Mendhak in Surrey in the UK.  I chose it in a bit of a hurry, and it seems to work well enough, although I still am a little unsure about the best way to set all the options for what I want.  There may be better apps. If you think you're found one then please let me know.

Ted

Quote from: kiwilink on March 29, 2015, 08:11:40 PM
Ted:

Thanks for the response.  Did you use the GPX file that went to your drop box from GeoTag Photos Pro?  And secondly, what options did you pick for you files (Overwrite or sidecar).  I have a Nikon so I have both JPEG and .NEF files.  I'm scared to overwrite my JPEGs because I know IMATCH is working great with my current images and I was a little afraid of letting GeoSetter to overwrite the JPEGS.  But if you did it, I should try it.

Thanks!

Mike
Mike,
My philosophy may be different from yours.  Whenever possible, I want data (exif, iptc, etc) to be written into the image file itself - both JPG and NEF (I have a D300).  I just don't want an additional file hanging around that can get separated or lost from the image itself.  IMatch uses ExifTool to do all the writing and it does an excellent job.  I have had no problems with this approach.  GeoSetter also uses ExifTool to update the images.

For my testing today, I did not use dropbox, I just uploaded to geotagphotos.net and to use GeoSetter I downloaded the gpx file from there.  I would expect the same results from DropBox.

When testing something new, like overwritting your JPG for the first time, be sure to make back up copies in case you get the setting right.
-----
Ted

Ted

Quote from: Ferdinand on March 29, 2015, 11:50:56 PM
This is the little yellow one that looks like a roll of film?  That's what I used to use as well.  The biggest hassle was the AA batteries, which are both a blessing and a curse.
Ferdinand,
Yes, model M-241, it seems the batteries won't last all day and sometimes they die and didn't realize it, so no more recording.  I've also had a bit of a problem with the slide switch and it's sometimes difficult to get it started.  I'm going to give the iOS app a try (in duplicate for awhile) and see how it goes.  I can always carry a battery pack with me if needed.
-----
Ted

jch2103

Quote from: Ferdinand on March 29, 2015, 11:50:56 PM
Quote from: jch2103 on March 29, 2015, 08:06:22 PM
I hate to ask, but which 'GPSLogger' app do you use with Android? I just looked, and there are several apps with the same or similar names!

It's called GPS Logger for Android.  Its by Mendhak in Surrey in the UK.  I chose it in a bit of a hurry, and it seems to work well enough, although I still am a little unsure about the best way to set all the options for what I want.  There may be better apps. If you think you're found one then please let me know.

Thanks. I use a connected GPS with my D600, but my Nikon 1 V1 is more of an issue. I've used MyTracks for tracking hikes, etc., and have used its GPX tracks for photo locations, but with some complications. GPS Logger looks like it's more battery-efficient than MyTracks. I'll check it out when I have a chance.
John

Ferdinand

Quote from: jch2103 on March 30, 2015, 03:13:04 AM
GPS Logger looks like it's more battery-efficient than MyTracks. I'll check it out when I have a chance.

As I said, I'm open to contrary views and other suggestions.  I didn't spend a huge time researching the choice. 

Mees Dekker

I  have been using a Garmin GPSmap 60C for easy navigating in the outback. We're doing a lot of hiking in the semi-wilderness of Scotland and the like. This GARMIN device has a tracking facility that works fine with GeoSetter (GPicSync is also great for doing this, but personally I prefer GeoSetter). It works on two AA batteries. I use rechargeable Eneloop batteries, they run for two full days of hiking.

My workflow:

• download pictures from camera to a dedicated folder on my computer (on my internal SSD)
  • bring GPX file into the same folder
  • start GeoSetter to insert correct coordinates into the files (I leave "overwrite" unchecked)
  • find the correct descriptions for country, city etc. through the special feature GeoSetter has for this purpose
  • quit GeoSetter and have all changes written to the files
  • start IMatch and rescan folder in which the new files were downloaded. All coordinates are automatically loaded into the database and all files are displayed correctly in/on the mappanel
  • rename files when necessary
  • move files from SSD to correct folder on my NAS
  • attach any categories, keywords and other metadata to the files
  • work on pictures by using Photoshop, save them. Automatic versions will be created, all categories etc. will we propagated automatically(when so configured)

Jingo

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this... I have used a dedicated GPS logger for years and it has been really great.  The apps for the phone will run your battery down in very little time while my tiny device sits in my pocket or camera bag and with 5-10 second interval captures - lasts for 2 days.  I believe it is a Holex (?).... use geosetter to match the photos to the gpx files very easily.

Hope this helps...

Carlo Didier

As and additional workflow, here's mine:
- log the track with the ViewRanger app on my Android phone (an old Galaxy S3 used for nothing else and with a $15 big battery that makes it last >12hrs in GPS logging)
- back home, copy the log as a GPX file to my PC
- start Downloader Pro (short DP) to copy the images from the card(s). DP automatically finds the corresponding GPX file and does the geo-tagging while copying the images from the card(s).

Ferdinand

Quote from: Jingo on April 06, 2015, 12:48:28 AM
The apps for the phone will run your battery down in very little time while my tiny device sits in my pocket or camera bag and with 5-10 second interval captures - lasts for 2 days.

The Android app that I use has certain features that minimise battery drain.  I found it less of a hassle re batteries than the Holux M-241.  Where possible I try to run both, but I prefer the phone app. 

Carlo Didier

I also prefer the phone app. With a big battery it lasts more than long enough and it's much easier to check if it's working correctly than a "black box" device with just a few LEDs to show the status.

Jingo

Interesting... perhaps the apps have gotten better over the years but I know my iphone drains from 100% to 30% in only a few hours of continued usage.  For me, the GPS units just work... sure - just LED's.. but if on, its tracking, if blinking, its got signal. 

jch2103

Quote from: jch2103 on March 30, 2015, 03:13:04 AM
I've used MyTracks for tracking hikes, etc., and have used its GPX tracks for photo locations, but with some complications. GPS Logger looks like it's more battery-efficient than MyTracks. I'll check it out when I have a chance.

I had a change to try GPS Logger on some recent hikes. Works great for recording GPS locations for my V1 photos. I was also running MyTracks at the same time, so I can't really testify on how battery-efficient GPS Logger is by itself. Everyone's needs are different, but if you're carrying a smart phone anyway and don't have a separate GPS, GPS Logger seems like a useful tool.
John

CollieDog

This is a very useful discussion here!

I formerly used a Garmen eTrex GPS for both geologging my location (track) throughout the day and for creating waypoints. I used this for making maps of areas of north China for which maps were not available.
This worked well, but later, when I no longer needed to make maps, it became easier to just buy a GPS unit for my Nikon.

In case its of interest to anyone, I wrote about using geologging here: http://www.ambrosi.ca/geo-metadata-spatial-relationships-social-science-research-adding-geodata/
And I wrote about my experiences with the Di-GPS unit that attaches to my Nikon camera here: http://www.ambrosi.ca/review-dawn-technology-di-gps-eco-prof-nikon/

jch2103

Thanks, Coolrat. Nice writeups. One additional note regarding GeoSetter: like the fabulous IMatch, GeoSetter relies on ExifTool for handling metadata. Consequently, because it gets regular ExifTool updates when they become available, it can handle metadata from new Raw file formats.
John

jcldl

To geotag my pictures I use a garmin oregon GPS and geo setter. Everything works fine. But I tried also Geotag Photo Pro on my android smartphone. I have only a trace every 30 seconds, (it's good for my battery!), but it works also very well. With the gpx created I use also geosetter without problem. So when I travel I have always my Garmin, but when it's just for some pictures Geotag Photo Pro works fine, and I have it always with me.
jcldl

jch2103

One additional note regarding GPS Logger for Android:
The app allows the user to select the types of location information it uses (e.g., GPS or phone network). I've discovered that in areas with sparse mobile phone towers, the GPS Logger gpx log can include tower locations as well as GPS locations, the problem being that the tower locations are nowhere near the phone location. Fortunately, GPS Logger records the source of location information, so it's easy to edit the gpx file to delete the extraneous location data before using it to geotag photo locations. I've since set the app preferences to use only GPS data. It's still very efficient regarding battery use.
John