Help with Help

Started by jeknepley, April 06, 2015, 05:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeknepley

I run IM5 on two laptops. Primary is a Win 8.1. Test/secondary is a Win7. Each PC's IM DB, Image files, etc. are synced with one another.

Given the setup described, my initial issue with the Help System is that I can't find any way to display it except its apparent default of Always on Top. This hasn't bothered me (much) until recently since I would just minimize it to stop it from blocking lower windows.

However, Help is now almost unusable on the Win7 setup (can't recall since when, but recently - I update each time a new release comes out, now on 5.4.4). Here's why:

• When Help opens, the top of the Help window as shown in the attachment. In this scenario, not only are lower windows blocked, but all of the help system's controls (including being able to drag the window are gone). The saving grace is that it can still be resized via the low right corner which gets the top back into view - after which all is well.
Not sure whether this is a setup problem where my searching failed to find a fix, a bug, or a feature request?

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeknepley

I think the problem might have been caused by where help was located on the screen during an earlier use followed by closing it. I just solved the problem by closing a small (non-full size) help window that was centered on the monitor. Reopening got me a window just as it was when closed. However if I maximize help and close it, I get the missing top version (which, by the way needs Task Manager to close it).

Richard

QuoteI can't find any way to display it except its apparent default of Always on Top.
During Beta testing I began putting a shortcut to the latest IMatch Help file on my desktop. I find it has many advantages. Always handy but not always on top. To read in Help I do not need to have IMatch open.

jeknepley

I had done the same. I'll have to remember the shortcut is there & stop using IM's help tab. Thanks for reminding me.