How to re-use locations between databases

Started by Mees Dekker, April 07, 2015, 10:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

I used to have a number of locations in a database, that I would like to re-use in a new database.

Does anybody have a solution how to do this?

Carlo Didier

What do you mean by "locations"? Categories?

Mees Dekker

Mario

Locations are a rarely used feature. There is no import/export feature because usually you create them and then they live as long as your database.
If you have the same images in both databases, you can re-create your locations quickly from images at that location. Right-click the flag > Create location in the balloon.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Thanks Mario

I figured that out myself, but I was curious whether there would any other option. I myself use locations a lot.

Mario

It would have been mentioned in the help and the options to export/import would be where you probably looked for them - in the location menu.

Implementing even a simple import/export feature costs time. Even when things run smoothly, one or two work days at least. Plus help, translations, bug fixes, linked discussions etc. When working on IMatch 5, I always had to decide whether or not a specific feature was mandatory, needed, useful, nice to have, rarely used or superfluous. For many of the features in IMatch I still have to-do lists with ideas or things I did not implement in order to ship IMatch 5 before I die of old age  ;)

I figured that users would request missing things (and you all do - which is great) and that I can judge from how often something is requested, supported, liked, discussed etc. what to implement in which order. And what not implement at all.

I understand that it would have been comfortable for you to have a location export feature for your specific task at hand. But how often will you use this in the future? How many users are there with more than one database (test databases excepted) who would also benefit from this? This has to be considered before I allocate a one two day slot for implementing a location export / import feature.

There is only so much time in a day. I'm adding stuff to IMatch all the time, incorporating things I learn from user comments here or from emails, from what I learn from looking users over the shoulder, and of course from the feature requests posted here.

If you think that an export/import feature for locations would be useful, feel free to add a FR so we can gather some feedback.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Hi Mario

you are absolutely wright: there is only so much time in a day. And yes: transferring locations from one database to another is something I almost never do. Actually only once so far, because of the recent rebuilding of my database.

So drop it, I would say, although there is actually an old FR for this, named "Saving locations" from Hugohartig

Mees

Mario

I know that one. It has been posted. Never commented, discussed or liked. FR's like this will be moved to the archive soon.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator