Hide a category

Started by zematima, April 07, 2015, 05:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zematima

Hello:
What about a way of hide a category or protect it with a password?
Although I have my database protected there are some categories that I can't open them (by mistake , or because I clicked them with the mouse inadvertently) with other people watching.
Thanks.
JRosa.

sinus

Quote from: zematima on April 07, 2015, 05:12:23 PM
Hello:
What about a way of hide a category or protect it with a password?
Although I have my database protected there are some categories that I can't open them (by mistake , or because I clicked them with the mouse inadvertently) with other people watching.
Thanks.
JRosa.

That is something, that I wanted have a long time, also in IM3.
My point is also, that I want hide some images, not that I show them a client or another guest by mistake.

I can remember, Mario wrote, that it is not easy, because what for example, if we search for such an image? If only the cat would be hidden, this would not protect the images.

So protect the image itself would be a good option. But I guess, this is not easy to implement.

But I want not disturb your feature request, hence I give this a "like".
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

zematima

Thanks.
If it is difficult to hide , maybe it's easier to put a password on the categories you want.
Regards,
JRosa.

Richard

Quote from: zematima on April 07, 2015, 06:36:58 PM
Thanks.
If it is difficult to hide , maybe it's easier to put a password on the categories you want.
Regards,
JRosa.

I considered moving certain photos to a speed stick but that would not work. The thumbnails would still appear. As to a password protected category, that would have to include the @All category.

As part of my genealogy I include documents in IMatch but some of those documents contain secrets that are not to be shared. Even a thumbnail could reveal too much. I could move those private files to another database but in doing so benefits would be lost. Maybe a second database could be password protected but linked to my main database. In the main database the link would indicate that more files exist but could not be accessed wihout the password.

Mario

There's a _lot_ more to it...

Just for a start:

If this is about preventing from images being displayed without an explicit consent, hiding a category just in the Category View will not do much.

What about the folder containing the images?
Or Collections?
What about search results?
Filter results?

Would all these features need to be enhanced to filter out images which are in one or more categories so the images don't show up by accident?

What about data-driven categories? They may contain images which are also in a protected category. Would these files to be filtered out? The shown counts adjusted so the result is right?

What if you protect a category on a lower level, but you show the parent category? IMatch would also need to filter out files which are in a protected category. And probably even consider this when showing the category counts.

And as well in the F&M View, Collections, Time-line, Result Windows. And that would also impact the entire filter panel cascade, the search bar and other features.

This goes way deep...

It would be easier to offer an option to mask individual images, showing only a black frame or some sort of 'overlay', unless the user un-protects these images.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 07, 2015, 08:12:00 PM
It would be easier to offer an option to mask individual images, showing only a black frame or some sort of 'overlay', unless the user un-protects these images.

This would be also for me the best solution. Then such images can simply normally searched, displayed, calculated and so on, but simply we cannot see the image, but only a kind of overlaying, something like proxies or annotations!

For me a very good solution would be a command, what would overlaying all selected images with a selfcreated overlaying image.

In this case I would create an image, what says something like "special image" or "not public" or "sensitive" or something like that and use it as the overlaying image. But of course also black would be ok.

For me personally a combination of keys (like Ctrl Alt xy) would be enough to "lock" and "unlock" such images, but of course, if it would be also possible using a password, this would be the luxury solution.

I guess, a lot of users has some pictures, what we want not show some users by mistake.
These can have several reasons, intimate pics, scientific images or simply some files, what do not want to show.
I have for example some images (and others), what shows a relative of me in a coffin. I do see this pic from time to time, accidentally.

If I could, I would also hide this, because I want simply not see these images suddenly, but I want have these images in my DB.

A kind of solution would be very good for me, and I am sure, also for quite a lot of users.
Markus

Mario

I thought about this while running this morning...always a good time to think deep thoughts.

I would implement this as a new collection. All files in that collection are only shown when the collection is 'unlocked', e.g. via a command / keyboard shortcut or via a password. Images can then be protected/un-protected by adding/removing them to/from the collection, you can see all protected files by switching to that collection, you can filter for these files and so on.

Files in that collection show 'blank' in file windows and Viewer/Slide Show/Quick Preview. I would not even display the file name or other data which could be revealing as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

I have no idea how fast you run but your mind must have been running very fast.

QuoteFiles in that collection show 'blank' in file windows and Viewer/Slide Show/Quick Preview.

I assume that they will show blank unless the collection has been unlocked?

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 08, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
I thought about this while running this morning...always a good time to think deep thoughts.

I would implement this as a new collection.

Sounds really great for me! Hope a lot of people does add a like for this feature request.

BTW: "by running" in the morning, you mean really running (jogging)?
Markus

Mario

Quote from: sinus on April 08, 2015, 08:31:58 AM
BTW: "by running" in the morning, you mean really running (jogging)? [/i]
Yep.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

zematima

Thanks Mario.
That would do the job.
Please keep running...
Best regards,
JRosa.

Carlo Didier

But users should somehow be warned that this protection is only active inside iMatch and that the files are not protected on the file system.

Richard

Quote from: Carlo Didier on April 08, 2015, 01:09:45 PM
But users should somehow be warned that this protection is only active inside iMatch and that the files are not protected on the file system.

That is a user problem that has nothing to do with IMatch. I intend to move my sensitive files to removable media once this Feature is added.

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on April 08, 2015, 01:09:45 PM
A comment in the help should do. It's like protecting your database with a password - this also does not protect the files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on April 08, 2015, 08:21:00 AM
I would implement this as a new collection. All files in that collection are only shown when the collection is 'unlocked', e.g. via a command / keyboard shortcut or via a password. Images can then be protected/un-protected by adding/removing them to/from the collection, you can see all protected files by switching to that collection, you can filter for these files and so on.

Files in that collection show 'blank' in file windows and Viewer/Slide Show/Quick Preview. I would not even display the file name or other data which could be revealing as well.

I thought about this again ... without running ... unfortunately!  :( (running is cool)

This feature would help me also a lot.
I have in the 180'000 images really quite some images, what I want not show (accidentally) to someone. One thinks maybe first at "intimate images", but there are also other images, what are sensitive (Richard pointed one possibility out).
Woud be great to have this.
Markus