Combining Timeline with categories?

Started by MyMatch, September 18, 2016, 11:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMatch

Now, timestamps of images are in the "Timeline".

I wanted to scan my timeline and then assign categories to images in folders, that i found in this way.
Doing this is easy.

But then, i would of course like to see those images in the selected timeline that are NOT already assigned to this or that or any category.

In IMatch 3, this was just an composite of categories in the builder.

But i cannot find a way to do this in IMatch 5 ...

I would need to use some Timeline "category" and combine it with other categories in the Category Builder.
Something like "March / 2015" & NOT "Assigned already"

Do i need to re-create timestamp based categories for that?

MyMatch

I could, of course, bookmark the current selection in the Timeline and then combine this in the Category Builder.

I just was wondering, if i could use the Timeline more "directly".

EDIT: Now, my existing "BookMark" Category does not seem to work anymore ... the selection in only visible in the Collections - which are also separated from the Categories as the Timeline.

To do what i then need, seems to require a temporary Category for the current selection from the Timeline (or BookMarks) ...

ubacher

QuoteBut then, i would of course like to see those images in the selected timeline that are NOT already assigned to this or that or any category.

Would it not do to just use the filter to filter out the categories you don't want?

PS: You could also use the filter to filter out a certain time range - an alternative to the timeline.

MyMatch

To be honest, i donĀ“t  understand :-O

I now use a temporary Category to which i add all images from a certain time-period.

Then, i can use this Category to check all folders of images in it, to double-check for other Categories - and then add of an folder to a new Category, if required.

If done, i remove all images from the temporary Category and continue with the next time-slice.

It would be more easy, when i could combine Categories, Collections and Timeline together.
But i cannot see such a possibility. Therefor my question.

Filter to not seem to help here, as they act on Categories, not on Collections or Timeline.
Or? :-O

Mario

QuoteFilter to not seem to help here, as they act on Categories, not on Collections or Timeline.

The Filter panel works with the files in the File Window, and thus works in all four views (Media & Folders, Category, Timeline, Collection). Same for the file window search bar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

MyMatch

Ahhh.

I only knew those three different Filter "windows" ...
Folder Filter
Category Filter
Timeline Filter
For Collections, i cannot see a Filter.

But i see no way to use them together, like in "Show me this and that folders, with images from Categories X, Y and Z and all of them only from 2014"...

But then, thanks to Marios replies, i remembered that things may be hidden somewhere and i noticed the "Filter" on the other side where i normaly just have "Info & Activity".

There, i noticed that i could remove any of the default filters and instead add Collections, Date, Category and Folders!

That would exactly be what i need.

So, far i did not get it to run ...
But maybe, i tested wrong - will continue tomorrow!

MyMatch

I found it.

I just needed to enable "Filter-Panel" in the "Filter-Manager" in the "Filter" Panel.

Works great, thank you!

ubacher

Just be aware that the filter panel can be tricky at times.
Watch out for categories being selected from last time and which you are not aware of anymore.
I tend to use the "reset all check boxes" button before I select new categories to filter.
(You find it below the scroll bar).

MyMatch

I did overlook this panel, as it by default shows filters that i would never use (GPS and such), while the for me most importans (Category, Folders, Timeline, Collections) are not visible ...

I think, a different default (maybe just show ANY possible filter initially) would help those who not start with reading the docs :D