Question about Editing Photos

Started by Lana, April 30, 2015, 08:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lana

I have some questions about iMatch and how it compares to Lightroom.  I currently have iMatch Version 3.6.0.118.  I've been using iMatch for years to browse and keep track of my photos, assign categories, batch rename, convert raw files to jpegs, etc.  I never use iMatch for editing.  In the past I have used Photoshop (an older version 7) and Nikon Capture NX2.  However, my version of Photoshop is old and Nikon Capture is no longer supported.  So I recently purchased onOne Photo Suite 9 to use as my editing software for my raw files.  I bought the standalone application, not the version that plugs in to Lightroom (I don't have Lightroom).

Recently, I've been getting lots of feedback from onOne users to purchase Lightroom.  I've been told my workflow should include Lightroom and I need to use Lightroom to do some editing (fix histogram, lighten, darken, etc.)  before sending to onOne for additional and final editing.

Before I make the decision to purchase Lightroom, I'd like to know if I should upgrade to the most current version of iMatch and will it meet my needs?  Does iMatch do any editing (I couldn't really find it in my version of iMatch, but I don't know about the current version).

Do I need Lightroom if I plan on continuing to use iMatch?  Does iMatch and Lightroom work together at all?  Does anybody here use iMatch and Lightroom together, and if so how do you use them together in your workflow?   If I need to start using Lightroom and upgrade to the current version of iMatch, I will do that.  But I'm just trying to figure out the best workflow.

I know I'm asking lots of questions, hope you don't mind.

Thank you!!

Mario

I'm biased, obviously. But I'll give some comments anyway:

Many IMatch users use Lightroom to edit their RAW files. Or Photoshop. Or both (like myself) - depending on what kind of images you are working with, what results you want to achieve etc. But there are also many users who use non-Adobe RAW processors like CaptureOne, SilkyPix or Nikon NX/D.

All manage their images in IMatch. IMatch does no editing (except powerful batch processing) but it excels in image management. IMatch 5 is a DAM, which means that it not only manages you images, but also other files, like video and audio files, PDF documents, Office documents etc. IMatch has a wide range of features you won't find it LR or Photoshop, from categories to stacking to collections to versioning - too much to mention here. See http://www.photools.com/im5/ and browse through the sample users to see what IMatch can do for you.

You can download and install IMatch 5 and use it for 30 days.  If you have IMatch 3.6.0.118 installed, you can run both on the same computer. IMatch 5 uses a separate database and separate settings and will not interfere with your legacy IMatch version. Using IMatch 5 for a month will show you what it does, and how easy it makes image management.

Let us know when you need more help or info about testing or using IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Quote from: Lana on April 30, 2015, 08:14:05 AM
.... I've been using iMatch for years to browse and keep track of my photos,....convert raw files to jpegs, etc.  .... I recently purchased onOne Photo Suite 9 to use as my editing software for my raw files. ....

Neither IMatch nor onOne "convert raw files to jpeg's". Yes, each will provide you a jpeg from a RAW, but that jpeg is based on your camera's settings at the time of image capture. For example, it will use whatever white balance setting you used and provides no option to change the WB during the conversion process. If you chose poor settings, you're stuck with them. Some mistakes - such as WB - can be difficult if not impossible to fix (yes, colors can be edited, but will only take you so far). LR on the other hand has a true RAW converter which basically allows you to "reset" your camera's settings "after the fact" - as well as numerous other invaluable features such Lens Correction, one of my favorites (even with $2000 lenses).

Bottom line - don't confuse a program's ability to open a RAW file with the ability to convert a RAW file. They're not the same. In such a case (your not having a means to do true RAW conversion) you gain nothing by shooting RAW and may as well shoot jpeg (or whatever other non-RAW options provided by your camera).

Lana

Mario, thanks for responding. I appreciate you answering my question.  I've put off upgrading to IMatch because I've been happy with my current version of IMatch.  But I think it's time, and it sounds like it's also time for me to get Lightroom as well.

And I get to upgrade at a discount!  That's good to know.

By the way, I didn't know IMAtch manages PDF and Office documents!  Really?  That's awesome!

jeknepley, a lightbulb just went off in my head!  You actually helped me understand a few things!  I never really understood the logic of shooting in raw and then editing jpegs!  I often asked myself the question - why shoot raw?  I always thought I "converted" a raw file to jpeg by simply saving it. (hitting myself on the forehead).  Like I said, I finally get it!

Now I understand why I need Lightroom!

Thank you so much!

ChrisG.

If you don't need the cataloging, editing and workflow tools in Adobe Lightroom why not try Nikon Capture NX-D which is free. Together with iMatch this might meet most of your raw file editing and cataloging requirements.

Chris   

jeknepley

Lana,

Here's a post from my Photography Improvement blog, http://edknepleyphoto.com/2013/03/19/workflow-series-raw-conversion/ . It illustrates the use of a RAW converter to solve typical image capture problems.

And - here's another, http://edknepleyphoto.com/2012/04/21/raw-jpeg-tiff-when-why/, that discusses pros/cons of shooting RAW vs JPEG or TIF

These may help reinforce your decision to go with the combination of IM5 & LR. Check out the recent thread (LR Facial Rec) in this forum's Off Topic section for discussions regarding LR creative cloud vs. licensed LR.