Issue Migrating IM v3.6 to IM v5.4

Started by dvhirst, May 06, 2015, 10:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvhirst

Hello,

I have been using IMv3.6 for some time, and am now in the process of migrating to IM 5.4.  In my IM3 configuration, I have a primary directory for photos within the My Documents directory on I: (I:/My Documents/Pictures).  Within this primary directory I have symbolic links to photo directories on three other physical drives (F:, H:, and J:).  This works OK within IM3, with all the images showing up via the symbolic link folders. 

When I generate a new database within IM5, all the linked images show up as off-line.  I've tried using the Relocate command to get them online, in the proper locations, but so far, have not found this easy or intuitive to accomplish. 

My initial thought is to remove the symbolic links, scan the physical directories into the IM3 database, and then migrate the data to IM5.  I am concerned that there is the potential to lose data in doing this, so I am asking those with more knowledge / experience to help with a suggested approach. 

I've searched the community forum for references to "symbolic link", but didn't find anything relevant to my situation.   Thanks in advance for any advice.

DvH

SCP: Win7SP1 64bit; Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Rev 1.02G; BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1005 08/06/2010; CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 BE, 3.95 GHz; RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3, 16 GB (4 x 4 GB); SATA III SSD:  1 x OCZ Vertex 4 240 GB; SATA III HDD: 1 x Seagate 2 TB HSSD, 2 x WD 500 GB, 1 x Seagate 300 GB, 2 x Seagate Replica 2TB USB3 (Automatic backup); ODD: 1 x Plextor SATA DVD RW, 1 x ASUS BRDVD RW; VGA: ASUS EN6600TD PCIe; PSU: ePower Tiger 550w; Case: Eagle Tech-Skyhawk Server; Cooling: CPU-stock; 2 case fans.

Mario

IMatch determines the existence of a folder by temporarily making that folder the current folder (basically what CD does on the command line). This is a proven and quick method that was used in IMatch 3 as well. This is supposed to work with symbolic links as well, I don't know why it should not work.

QuoteI've tried using the Relocate command to get them online, in the proper locations, but so far, have not found this easy or intuitive to accomplish. 

What was the problem, exactly?
Right-click the folder, choose "Relocate" and use the ... button to navigate to the new location of that folder, or enter the new location in the "New location for this folder edit field" (e.g. copy/paste it from Windows Explorer).
You can relocate on the drive, media and folder level.
To relocate individual files, use the Relocate available in the context menu of files (File Window).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook