Setting CUSTOM sort order should only apply to folder... where it was set

Started by ubacher, May 14, 2015, 08:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I find it inconvenient that, if one sets the sort order to custom that this then applies to all "displays".

My request is that the Custom sort order stays bound to the folder/category/display where it was set.

This would probably also make it possible to not allow the setting of CUSTOM when custom sorting is not possible.
( A request I think I posted some time back).

Mario

You don't set a custom sort profile for a folder. You tell the file window which sort profile to use. And the file window then sorts the files you load into it using that sort profile. IMatch cannot remember file window sort profile settings per folder. What happens if you select multiple folders? The same applies to categories, collections and time-line nodes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

You say:
QuoteIMatch cannot remember file window sort profile settings per folder.
But Imatch keeps track of the custom sort profile for a folder/category - right?

So my thinking: If I set a custom sort order  for a folder/category and then switch to view another folder/category for which no
custom sort order exists then leave the existing sort order (Don't use CUSTOM for sort order across all folders etc.)

Makes sense?

Lets say I have folders A, B and C. Never done any CUSTOM sort.  Sort order DEFAULT.
If I go to folder A and set CUSTOM and then switch to folder B or C I want to find the sort order DEFAULT

Mario

There is no existing sort order. If you set the file window to sort custom, there is no fall-back when you switch to a folder without a custom sort order. Per definition, all folders (and categories) have a custom sort order - the order in which the files where added.

You can later change that custom sort order by re-arranging the files in the file window, or by using the set current order as custom function, but for IMatch there is no difference between the original custom sort order and a custom sort order manually changed by you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

So I need to reformulate my request:

When the user changes the sort order for a folder/category it should apply only to this folder.
Currently when I set sort order CUSTOM then all order/folders  subsequently displayed are shown in sort order CUSTOM.

So in addition to storing the custom sort order for each folder/category IM should also store the wanted sort order.

Mario

No. When you set the sort order custom, you tell the file window to use this sort profile when displaying data. The sort profile is part of the file window - folders, categories, collections and time-line nodes know nothing about sort profiles.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator