Info: Reading Imatch help file on iPad

Started by Aubrey, May 10, 2015, 07:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Most users may know this but if not....

I have got tired of sitting in front of computer screen to read the help manual  :(

So a little searching on how to read and upload onto iPad

Installed app CHM+ Lite (free)

Then launched app and clicked on bottom right wireless symbol where it tells me how to "talk" to ipad from PC.
I then typed the URL into browser of PC. Went to where the help file is stored (on my machine C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\IMatch5\imatch.chm) selected this file and then uploaded.

So far appears to work fine! Now I sit in my armchair and peruse!

Aubrey.  8)

hro

Great idea Aubrey.

For the ones on Android, I use PocketBook. It is installed on my tablet and phone and it can read many file formats, even authenticiate with Adobe for DRM protected files.

Rather than accessing the IMatch help file on my PC I just copied it to the devices. The file is not very big, but I can read it anywhere.

jch2103

+1 on PocketBook for Android. Not perfect, but works well on my Nexus 7 tablet.
John

Mario

I have a Windows 8.1 tablet which can run both IMatch and display the help file... ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 11, 2015, 08:39:55 AM
I have a Windows 8.1 tablet which can run both IMatch and display the help file... ;)

Me too. And I let run the DB on a USB-3 - stick, what I can put into this tablet.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Aubrey

Kind of going off topic but..

You've got me interested.... I'm in Middle East next week, a good place to buy.
What tablet are you using Markus?

What would be best tablet if price was not a real issue?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

sinus

Quote from: Aubrey on May 11, 2015, 12:21:36 PM
Kind of going off topic but..

You've got me interested.... I'm in Middle East next week, a good place to buy.
What tablet are you using Markus?

What would be best tablet if price was not a real issue?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Hi Aubrey
Sorry, I can unfortunately not give you precise information, because first the tablet is at home ;)

And it is not a real tablet, it is a laptop, where I can switch out the monitor, so that I have only a tablet, the keyboard is then not connected to the touch-monitor.

And I bought it 2 month ago, as a special offer from a discounter  :-[ 8) (Aldi).
The brand name is Medion, and I am quite sure, that you will this brand only find in Aldi.

And your second question, to be honest, I do really not know. I paid for my tablet 300 CHF, this means roughly 320 Euro.
And I bought it mostly to see Windows 8.1 and to let run IMatch on this device ;)

Hopefully another user can give you better informations.
Markus

Carlo Didier

I don't need a tablet to read the help, I've got a second 23" monitor  8)

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 11, 2015, 04:40:08 PM

:o :o :o oh, and you take this monitor all the time with you?!  ;D ;D ;D
Markus

Mario

Now that's an idea. An inflatable, battey-powered 30" monitor you can take with you everywhere in a matchbox. I see a market for this...  :P
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I have 2 monitors, but would mean bringing armchair to monitor!
Aubrey.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on May 11, 2015, 04:57:39 PM
Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 11, 2015, 04:40:08 PM

:o :o :o oh, and you take this monitor all the time with you?!  ;D ;D ;D

:) No, but that's on my desktop where I need the help

Ferdinand

I know that the IMatch help is a masterpiece of literature, but if that's what you guys and gals are carrying around on your iPad to read, then seriously   ...   you've really got to widen your reading interests.

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on May 12, 2015, 03:13:18 PM
I know that the IMatch help is a masterpiece of literature, but if that's what you guys and gals are carrying around on your iPad to read, then seriously   ...   you've really got to widen your reading interests.

Well, do not underestimate IMatch-user!  ;)
Usually monday morning (morning, not 6 am, but 4 am  ;D) I read for example Hawkins "The universe in a Nutshell". Not get too crazy, between this book I do some reading from "Wilhelm Busch", some books with humour. In the morning coffee I can see then stars in the black wetness and I have still time to turn some pages in the holy bible.

But of course, to be not only too steady focussed on the christian religion, I read at the end of the breakfast one side (ok, sorry, more is too much) of the coran.

Well, in the morning train time to read (blush) Agatha Christie's old criminal books, funny, and I cannot get into the problem, to see horrified travellers staring in my book, that is why I read say books from Stephen King or William Peter Blatty 5 minutes bevore I go sleeping.

During the first break I usually read the newspapers, first the German "Bild" ( ;D ::)), then the more sophisticated "FAZ" (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), followed by some pages of the British sun and of course the New York Times.

But then I have to hurry back to my working place.
Because I have a problem there (well, mostly pretended), I check the first time my beloved IMatch-help!  ;D 8) :o :)

Maybe because the first name is equal, I glimpse from time to time to a book from Johannes Mario Simmel.
For lunch there is nothing better then Herman Hesse's "Steppenwolf", ok, in German again of course.

Just after starting again working it is again IMatch-help-time!  ;D

But in the afternoon - break I have time to reread for the 194th times "The Old Man and the Sea" from Ernest Hemingway.  Then again working, but on the train at home it is again relax-time, so I read some papers like "Mickey Mouse" or some japanese 漫画 (Mangas), what are really funny, but if I get, then I read also some scandinavian comic-papers or books.

Before dinner I do mostly lern about good design, there I have different books, like at the moment "Handbuch des Buches" form Andrew Haslam. Then I do like Mario proposed, I try to lern some stuff about JavaScript, always accompagned with the IMatch-help-file.

Because 9 pm is a good time, for the brain, I read mostly some books from Goethe or Schiller, but also some old stuff like the documentations from Alexander Solschenizyn, for example the "Archipel Gulag".
And nowadays "The shadow Factory" from James Bamford, something about the NSA in USA.

Just before Stephen King or some equal stuff, I read again in the IMatch-help, actually about the Attributes and formatting variables, followed by some online-stuff about CSS, html5 and Javascript.

Well, that is monday ... tuesday and the other days are different, like Mario has also only one (half) day for his "pet-stuff".  ;D

But now it is time for "Le petit Prince" from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Very nice, always worth to reread.

So ok, Ferdinand, not a lot of wide interests, but I am sure, the other users has a lot more of interests, including you of course.
Markus

Richard

QuoteI don't need a tablet to read the help, I've got a second 23" monitor

Many years ago, when monitors were CRT, I was trying to buy a printed version of documentation for an application. The women I was talking to asked why I didn't just read what was online. I told her that I like to read before I go to sleep. Falling asleep while reading a book can result in my face being hit by the book. There is no way that I would want to get hit in the face with a monitor. She did not find it funny.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Richard on May 12, 2015, 06:42:41 PM
QuoteI don't need a tablet to read the help, I've got a second 23" monitor

Many years ago, when monitors were CRT, I was trying to buy a printed version of documentation for an application. The women I was talking to asked why I didn't just read what was online. I told her that I like to read before I go to sleep. Falling asleep while reading a book can result in my face being hit by the book. There is no way that I would want to get hit in the face with a monitor. She did not find it funny.

:) :) :)

@Markus: How do you get all that time to read? I love reading, but except from my 20min train commute, I hardly ever get time for it ...

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 12, 2015, 10:28:00 PM
@Markus: How do you get all that time to read? I love reading, but except from my 20min train commute, I hardly ever get time for it ...

Carlo, nor do I.
I forgot to mention, that my lot of reading, wrote in my post above, was  of course simply ... ähem, fiction!  8) ;) ::)

I do read quite a lot, but never that much. Except the IMatch-help, what I read all the time ... (a joke of course, because I work every day with IMatch, I must not more often look up in the helpfile).
Markus