Data driven category with category filter

Started by ben, May 31, 2015, 08:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hi,

i am trying to setup a data-driven collection, which only includes files corresponding to a category filter.

When i add a file to the category, which acts as the filter-category for the data-driven collection, then the data-driven collection doesn't get updated automatically.
Though, it updates, when i select "refresh data".
What do i do wrong?

Example:
- category: test_filter
- category: test
   - data driven
   - Tag: Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0
   - category filter: ^test_filter$
   - automatic update: ON

So, when i add a file to the category "test_filter" i would expect that the category "test" gets updated automatically, but it doesn't.
Thanks for any help.

Ben

Mario

This is how it's implemented. I did not want to slow down the entire IMatch system for all users for this specific case.
If you want me to look into this for a later version, please add a feature request.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I worked on this today. This was really complicated and time-consuming to get right and without causing performance loss. Because each assignment (!) must be checked because you may assign or un-assign files to/from a category which is used by one or more data-driven categories as a filter. Thankfully IMatch already streamlines and packs category updates internally, and I could hook into this. This works now as it should.

I wonder how other companies sell much simpler software for a much higher price, and still get millions of users...
Sigh. I hope many users use data-driven categories with group filters to justify the amount of work that went into this.

Sorry. I had to argue with a disgruntled user (10 emails today alone!) about the fact that he has to pay to get IMatch 5. He bought an IMatch license back in 2004 and now wants an upgrade to IMatch 5 for free...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Richard

QuoteI had to argue with a disgruntled user

You can not win an argument with a fool.

thrinn

Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2015, 07:34:33 PM
I had to argue with a disgruntled user (10 emails today alone!) about the fact that he has to pay to get IMatch 5.
Just to rise your spirits a bit: I  will happily pay an upgrade fee for IMatch 5.5 without feeling disgruntled. I'm pretty sure there are  a lot of users who will.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on May 31, 2015, 08:13:58 PM
Quote from: Mario on May 31, 2015, 07:34:33 PM
I had to argue with a disgruntled user (10 emails today alone!) about the fact that he has to pay to get IMatch 5.
Just to rise your spirits a bit: I  will happily pay an upgrade fee for IMatch 5.5 without feeling disgruntled. I'm pretty sure there are  a lot of users who will.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ben

QuoteI worked on this today. This was really complicated and time-consuming to get right and without causing performance loss. ... This works now as it should.

Wow, i didn't expect that. I was unsure if i should write a feature request or think about a workaround.
;D Cool, thanks.

I have to more little questions i couldn't figure out using the help file:

• What's the syntax for the category filter, if i want to filter (exact phrase) just for the last item of a collection tree, e.g.: Category:places\europe\italy. -> filter for italy
  • What's the syntax if i don't want to filter for a normal category but for a hierarchical keyword? Or propably it's limited to categories, right?

-> Currently i was trying:
category filter: ^test_filter$

Thanks again,
Ben

Mario

It's a regular expression. Since @Keywords are categories, you can filter for them as well. Same syntax as everywhere, e.g. for the @Category formula.
Give it a try, I'm sure you figure it out.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator