How to work with Filter

Started by DigPeter, August 01, 2013, 09:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I have read Filter Help and tried to use filter, but cannot get past first base.  It seems to my untechnical brain to very complicated.  For instance:

1) I would like to filter all images with the category "Wild plants" in a folder.  I select that folder and clicl on"Wild plants" in the filter panel and nothing happens. 

or

2) I would like to display all images in a folder, including those in the subfolders.

What are the steps needed to achieve this?

ChrisMatch

Quote from: DigPeter on August 01, 2013, 09:23:00 PM1) I would like to filter all images with the category "Wild plants" in a folder.  I select that folder and clicl on"Wild plants" in the filter panel and nothing happens.

To activate the filter you must also activate the Categories section and the filter itself (the checkbox near the orange 'Active' on the top).

[attachment deleted by admin]

ChrisMatch

Quote from: DigPeter on August 01, 2013, 09:23:00 PM2) I would like to display all images in a folder, including those in the subfolders.

You don't need a filter for that - you need to activate the 'Show Hierarchy' (and 'Show All Levels') option in the bar above the thumbnails.

DigPeter

Quote from: ChrisMatch on August 01, 2013, 09:38:50 PM
Quote from: DigPeter on August 01, 2013, 09:23:00 PM1) I would like to filter all images with the category "Wild plants" in a folder.  I select that folder and clicl on"Wild plants" in the filter panel and nothing happens.

To activate the filter you must also activate the Categories section and the filter itself (the checkbox near the orange 'Active' on the top).
Thanks - I did that. Then selected the category and nothing happened after clicking apply filter (Auto is de-selected)

ChrisMatch

Quote from: DigPeter on August 01, 2013, 09:53:06 PM
Thanks - I did that.

Could it be that the filter panel is 'paused' (disabled)?

Maybe you could share a screenshot of your filter settings
(but maybe you found a bug).
At least it seems to work here!?

DigPeter

Quote from: ChrisMatch on August 01, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
Quote from: DigPeter on August 01, 2013, 09:53:06 PM
Thanks - I did that.

Could it be that the filter panel is 'paused' (disabled)?

Maybe you could share a screenshot of your filter settings
(but maybe you found a bug).
At least it seems to work here!?

Your post crossed with my edit. 

Not disabled - see attachment.

ChrisMatch

yes, but in your screenshot the checkbox for the filter 'Active' and for 'Categories' is NOT activated!

ChrisMatch

see attachment...

DigPeter

Quote from: ChrisMatch on August 01, 2013, 10:13:27 PM
yes, but in your screenshot the checkbox for the filter 'Active' and for 'Categories' is NOT activated!
Thanks - that solves it.  To me this is not intuitive.  Selecting the required category, I would have thought would be sufficient.  Perhaps I did not read Help closely enough.  I will have another read.  Also having to select 'active' is not an obvious step to take.

I am most grateful for your guidance.

ChrisMatch

Quote from: DigPeter on August 01, 2013, 10:26:43 PMTo me this is not intuitive.

The problem is that those checkboxes make sense for a different use case.
If you just want to click some filter criteria I also think that it is not intuitive that you have to activate 3 additional checkboxes/buttons.
BUT if you want to combine some saved filters with some additional criteria the additional checkboxes suddenly seem useful  ;)

DigPeter

Quote from: ChrisMatch on August 01, 2013, 10:45:46 PM
BUT if you want to combine some saved filters with some additional criteria the additional checkboxes suddenly seem useful  ;)
It will no doubt become clearer with use.