File Viewer image size small from LR6 HDR and Panoramic files

Started by Aubrey, June 14, 2015, 10:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have been working with the new LR6 feature of HDR and Panoramic files.  I save a DNG with a full size jpg embedded, yet the file viewer (and slide viewer) only show a small image. Anybody else had similar issues?

More details:
Using FPV Codex (shown below exerpt)
Image size is fine when working with NEF in LR6 making small changes and then saving DNG with fullsize image.
When using Panorama or HDR (new features in LR6) LR6 creates a new DNG from NEFs when compiling the new image this is saved in same folder as original files. When I have completed work with these images I save a further DNG in the same folder. Neither the DNG created initially by LR6 nor by final save can be shown full size in the file viewer. I'm suspecting it's a fault with LR.

Aubrey.

List of installed codecs:
   Codec 'BMP Decoder' for extensions .bmp,.dib,.rle
   Codec 'GIF Decoder' for extensions .gif
   Codec 'ICO Decoder' for extensions .ico,.icon
   Codec 'JPEG Decoder' for extensions .jpeg,.jpe,.jpg,.jfif,.exif
   Codec 'PNG Decoder' for extensions .png
   Codec 'TIFF Decoder' for extensions .tiff,.tif
   Codec 'WMPhoto Decoder' for extensions .wdp,.jxr
   Codec 'Google SketchUp Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .skp,.skm
   Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pdf
   Codec 'Fuji Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .raf
   Codec 'Adobe Lightroom® Preview Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .lrprev,.noindex
   Codec 'Samsung Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .srw
   Codec 'Radiance HDR Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .hdr,.pic,.rgbe,.xyze
   Codec 'PNM Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .ppm,.pgm,.pbm,.pnm
   Codec 'OpenEXR Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .exr
   Codec 'Hasselblad Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .3fr,.fff
   Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dng
   Codec 'TGA Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .tga
   Codec 'JPEG Rotator (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jpg,.jpeg,.jpe,.jfif,.exif
   Codec 'PhotoLine Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pld
   Codec 'Canon Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .cr2,.crw
   Codec 'Epson Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .erf
   Codec 'Panasonic Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .rw2
   Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .eps,.ai,.indd
   Codec 'Nikon Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .nef,.nrw
   Codec 'Leica Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .raw,.rwl
   Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .sr2,.srf,.arw
   Codec 'JPEG Derivative Handler (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jps,.mpo,.npo
   Codec 'Mamiya Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .mef
   Codec 'Autodesk Maya IFF Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .iff,.tdi
   Codec 'Minolta Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .mrw
   Codec 'Rawzor Compressed Raw Format Previewer (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .rwz
   Codec 'Pentax Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pef
   Codec 'Sinar Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .cs1
   Codec 'Kodak Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dcr,.kdc
   Codec 'DDS Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dds
   Codec 'Softimage PIC Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pic
   Codec 'Adobe Photoshop® Document Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .psd,.pdd
   Codec 'JPEG 2000 Baseline Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jpf,.jpx,.jp2,.j2c,.j2k,.jpc
   Codec 'Olympus Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .orf
   Codec 'Sigma X3F Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .x3f
   Codec 'Valve Texture Format Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .vtf
   Codec 'Silicon Graphics RGB Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .sgi,.rgb

Mario

Use Help > Support > WIC Diagnosis on one of these files to see what the installed codec returns.
Please note that LR extends and bends the DNG format as it wants...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Checked the WIC on individual images. Clearly HDR is not working. On rechecking it looks like panorama is OK, though preview fails.

I wonder if I used Adobe codec if this would help (currently using FPV 3.8 ). I think that there is interference if 2 codecs are installed. As most of my files are NEFs or standard DNGs I think I'll leave well enough alone... though I will drop an email to FPV.

Not much I can think of to get around this problem... perhaps don't use LR6 for HDR

HDR:
Testing file 'H:\Processed images\2015\1506 Jun\AOC_D300_150613_34745-HDR.dng'
   Thumbnail: Codec ''
      (CreateDecoderFromStream failed (88982F50 Unknown error 0x88982F50).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec ''
      (CreateDecoderFromStream failed (88982F50 Unknown error 0x88982F50).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec ''

Panorama:
Testing file 'H:\Processed images\2015\1506 Jun\AOC_D300_150613_34763-Pano-2.dng'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 256x188 pixel in 16 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      (GetPreview failed (88982F81 Unknown error 0x88982F81).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 5182x3802 pixel in 0 ms.

Mario

For th HDR the codec fails to return anything, which indicates that the DNG format is not compatible with any of the DNG variants supported by FastPictureViewer. That's what I meant when I said that Adobe considers DNG to be their own, and they change the format and features of DNG whenever they need something new for LR or any of their other applications. The initial idea of DNG being a standard format and RAW replacement is no more...

Maybe updating the codec pack to the latest version (just use the link you have received for your puchase again) will help. Or sending the FPV people a sampel file so they can have a look.

For the Pano file, a thumbnail and full-res image can be extracted and thus the file should be OK in IMatch ?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I have the most recent version of FPV, version 3.8 . I've sent a note to FPV mentioning the issue.

As a check I loaded up the Adobe 2.0 codecs, the images pass the WIC codec checks of IMatch 5 with this codec.

It definitely looks as though Adobe have moved the goal posts with the HDR option  >:(

However, I've gone back to the FPV codecs as they are more complete than Adobe.

You are correct, on rechecking, the Pano file is displaying correctly.

Aubrey

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on June 14, 2015, 01:11:56 PM
It definitely looks as though Adobe have moved the goal posts with the HDR option  >:(
Yes. Unfortunately. They introduced breaking changes to DNG last year when they added the 'fast preview' option (for the purpose of making LR loading previews faster) and now apparently again to support LR's HDR feature. Not much of a standard format anymore. Adobe introduces changes, and all other companies have to play catch-up - very similar to RAW formats now.

This is not only annoying for users, but also potentially dangerous, looking at it from a long-term archival standpoint.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator