Category to keywords: script is touching original file

Started by Aubrey, June 21, 2015, 04:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I am applying the script category to keyword (see attached metadata template)

The script appears to change the original image file. I would have thought it would only write to the xmp file.
Below is the output for the category to keyword script.

-GPS:all=
-tagsfromfile
E:\Processed images\2008\0811 Nov India\AOC_D300_081129_4489.xmp
-@
C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\IMatch5\arg_files\xmp2exif.args
-@
C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\IMatch5\arg_files\xmp2iptc.args
-@
C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\IMatch5\arg_files\xmp2gps.args

E:\Processed images\2008\0811 Nov India\AOC_D300_081129_4489.NEF
-execute9999

1 image files updated

1 image files updated

1 image files updated

----- Runtime: 0.5 s.
Warning: Error converting value for ExifIFD:SubSecTimeOriginal (ValueConvInv) - E:\Processed images\2008\0811 Nov India\AOC_D300_081129_4489.xmp

Is this a case of writing back to the IPTC data to the raw file ? To test this, I took another file and applied the EXIF script to clear the IPTC data:
-overwrite_original_in_place
-IPTC:Keywords=
-XMP:Subject=
-XMP:HierarchicalSubject=
{Files}

I checked the raw file size, and then applied the category to keyword script. Checked again the raw file size and saw that it had grown.

Is it possible to have the category to keyword script only update the xmp file?

Aubrey.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Which script are you using? Your screen shot shows a Metadata Template???

In general: Whenever you update metadata in IMatch, it will synchronize metadata across IPTC, EXIF. GPS and XMP. Why it does this, how it does this and when it updates only the XMP sidecar and when it updates the image file as well is all explained and documented in the help. When you update keywords, and the image file has IPTC data, keywords will be updated in XMP and IPTC. See the help for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Update on this issue:
The NEF files that were giving issues were originally loaded by IMatch 3. When using this software I embedded all the xmp data in the file, (I remember Mario telling us in the help file, that this was not recommended! ).

In metadata2 of IMatch 5 my NEF file format was set to default, this caused a write back to IPTC. I have now set "Write IPTC" to No, I have also removed the IPTC data from the file. The results are now more as expected.

At times think I am becoming more frustrated than Mario with all the XMP / IPTC nuances!  ;)

Aubrey.

Mario

The only company ever who insistent that XMP should be embedded in the NEF file was Nikon. This of course caused a massive incompatibility with other applications. Reluctantly, I added a feature to IMatch 3 to support this proprietary storage schema - because it was the only way to support users of Nikon's Capture software.

After abandoning Nikon Capture and instead shipped a re-branded version of Silverpix, Nikon silently switched to 'XMP sidecar' as well. Leaving millions of users with NEF files modified by Capture and with XMP data embedded in the file. Another archival nightmare and potential source for future problems.

+ Nikon enforces their own proprietary storage schema for XMP data.

+ Adobe changes the DNG file format at a whim, whenever they need something new for one of their products.

+ Microsoft, albeit member of the Metadata Working Group, implements a proprietary storage schema for region and face data in XMP - not using the official MWG standards.

As long as the big flashy advertisements blend them, and the paid "endorsers" and paid "advertorials" in magazines and photo blogs tell the common user that everything is nice and shiny, the big (software) companies can get away with almost everything. Brace new world.

And then users come to me and tell me to support this or that proprietary gimmick so they can still access the metadata they buried with whatever crappy software in their files. Try that with Adobe...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook