Change EXIF Date and Time independently

Started by ulim, July 30, 2015, 10:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulim

The tool to change the EXIF date (and copy it to the other metadata fields) is very useful, but it always writes back date and time. In some situations it would be useful to differentiate between them.

For example: only the date is wrong, but the time is correct. If I select 20 images and call up the tool, then the tools applies the same date and time to all images. It would be very useful if I could select that all images should get the same date, but keep the time that they already have.

The same vice versa, if only the time is wrong, but the date is correct (e. g. Timezone problem in the camera).

Ulrich

jch2103

I assume you're talking about Commands/Image/Modify EXIF Date and Time... ?

If so, check the Relative settings, where you can set just a relative change in time (e.g., a time zone issue). See the Help for more information.
John

Mario

John is right. To change the date, just add/remove a relative amount of time.

I also think that ExifTool does not support changing only the date or time, at least not for more than one image.
Tip: All ExifTool functionality, including working with date and time in complex situations, is available via the ExifTool Command Processor in IMatch. See the ExifTool web site and FAQ for many examples.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ulim

EXIF tool will always set the entire field.

The feature request for iMatch is that it gives me a user interface to select changing only date or time. It would then proceed to read out the current date or time from the file and combine it with my input to write back the EXIF datetime field.

The relative setting only works, if it is the same amount to add/subtract for all selected files. It also requires that I do a lot of precalculation when moving, say, from April 13 2014 to September 12 2008. It would be much quicker to just say "all selected files go to September 12, 2008 and please leave the time as-is".

Ulrich