Map has stopped working

Started by DigPeter, August 19, 2015, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

In the past I have used Map successfully, but recently it has failed to produce any map, irrespective of the provider selected. 

Google maps is selected in preferences.  See attachment, which shows "Sorry, we have no imagery here", when Google is selected.  For Open Street, just a blank blue page is displayed.

Google maps and Open Street is available through my browser.  Map works in LR and Geostetter.

Selecting a geotagged file or Clicking on Reload map fails to display a map. 

Can any one help, please.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Which changes did you make to your system before this happened?
Switch to debug logging, switch between some geo-coded files, and then check the log for lines starting with E> or W>.

If no error messages come back from JavaScript or the web browser control, they seem to be able to access the server. Just OpenStreet;fails to render the results... Maybe virus checker interfering, Internet Explorer Preferences or your Firewall settings...

Does changing the zoom level have an effect?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Thank you, Mario.

Other than installing 5.4.18, I have made no changes,except adding files and normal work with those.  I think the last time I successfully used Map was with 5.4.16.

I have done as you suggest,but still no map.  Debug log file is attached, bit no line starting W> or E>

I did this with with AVG disabled and enabled.

Mario

The map works here , on W7 and W10 on two computers and a tablet. Used 5.4.18 as well.

Other users having troubles with the map?

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

herman

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2015, 08:21:48 PMOther users having troubles with the map?
Nope, works well here.
Enjoy!

Herman.

BanjoTom

Working well here, too, on both my *old* PC (Win 7 32bit) and new one (Win 7 Pro 64).   
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

This looks like one of these strange issues where some sort of virus checker is causing problems, or some plug-in or browser security configuration perhaps?

Check your Windows Firewall settings and make sure IMatch is allowed go connect to the Internet.

Does the GeoNames App (in the App panel) work?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on August 20, 2015, 08:25:22 AM
This looks like one of these strange issues where some sort of virus checker is causing problems, or some plug-in or browser security configuration perhaps?

Check your Windows Firewall settings and make sure IMatch is allowed go connect to the Internet.

Does the GeoNames App (in the App panel) work?

I have looked at the firewall settings and see no mention of IMatch or Photools. I disabled firewall and Map still did not respond.

I am not computer savvy, so do not know about plug-ins or where to find them.

In the map panel, I checked on Geonames and this worked OK.

Mario

Do the simplest things first:

Reboot your system (unless you do so daily anyway)
Repair your IMatch installation via the Control Panel > Add/Remove software applet.

QuoteIn the map panel, I checked on Geonames and this worked OK.

I don't understand.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on August 20, 2015, 02:13:28 PM
Do the simplest things first:

Reboot your system (unless you do so daily anyway)
Repair your IMatch installation via the Control Panel > Add/Remove software applet.
I close down & reboot daily.  I tried repair yesterday to no effect.  Should I uninstall and reinstall IMatch?  If I do, would all my settings be retained?

QuoteIn the map panel, I checked on Geonames and this worked OK.

I don't understand.
Sorry - wrong terminology. Reverse geocoding works from the map panel.  I looked at the App Panels, but could find no reference to geonames.

Thanks for your help so far, Mario.

Mario

So only the Map is not working?
"No image for this  bla-bla" is usually displayed when Google/Bing have no images for a certain zoom level. Did you try one of the other modes (the + buttons on the right side of the Map panel)....
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on August 20, 2015, 03:01:36 PM
So only the Map is not working?
"No image for this  bla-bla" is usually displayed when Google/Bing have no images for a certain zoom level. Did you try one of the other modes (the + buttons on the right side of the Map panel)....
Everything else I use functions normally.

No maps for any mode - just a blue screen for OpenStreet

Mario

And you already tried the zoom slider?
Various images?  Etc?
This is something truly unique apparently and I'm not sure how I can provide additional info or help.
IMatch uses the OpenLayers library inside the Internet Explorer web browser control in the map panel. If this does not work, either OpenLayers fails on your system (but since you don't see error messages, this is not the case) or it cannot connect to the chosen map provider (but then you would also see an error message) and there are also no JavaScript error messages so IMatch is interfacing correctly.

A blue screen (I assume that's water at a very high zoom ratio) or the message about "no images at this level" indicates a zoom level that is larger than supported by the map provider. Usually zooming out helps in that case...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on August 20, 2015, 03:27:31 PM
And you already tried the zoom slider?
Various images?  Etc?
Yes, but not to minimum zoom (see below).  I tried geotagged images from different parts of the world.

QuoteA blue screen (I assume that's water at a very high zoom ratio) or the message about "no images at this level" indicates a zoom level that is larger than supported by the map provider. Usually zooming out helps in that case...
Acting on this comment, I went to minimum zoom in OpenStreet and found a map of the whole World, then zoomed in gradually and I now have the map of the area covered by the images.  I am also now getting maps in the other modes.  So, as you suggest, I was in the middle of the ocean somewhere, and smaller zoom adjustments did not move the map far enough.

Another problem
Please see attached screen grab. This occurred when I tried to apply the target marker coords to a selected file.  As the attachment to OP shows, I am registered with Geonames and I have not changed my user name.  This has happened several times in the past.  Is this normal behaviour?

Mario

Even if you are registered, the GeoNames server is still a free service, ran by volunteers. It may be overloaded or down for maintenance.
The log file may contain additional info, e.g. the error message returned by the server.

Usually it helps just to wait a bit, or to check the geonames.org web site for  additional info.

The servers provided by Google and Microsoft are fed by the billions of dollars these companies make from selling us advertisements and software. They usually work but have other strings attached (see the IMatch help for details).

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter