Pack And Go Verify Hangs

Started by WzeroMN, August 25, 2015, 11:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WzeroMN

On verify when it gets to the settings database it just sits and spins and spins and spins. It used to work. Imatch seems to work as nearly as I can tell when I o0pen it and try various things and the database seems ok there. Why and how to fix this?
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente

Mario

Pack & Go produces various log files.  See the Pack & Go help for details.
Please zip and attach these log files so we can see what P&G is doing, if there are any error messages logged by the system etc.

Verify calculates checkums for each packed file and compares the checksum with the checksum of the original file. Maybe some external software, e.g. your virus checker, is blocking IMatch's file access? Try to temporarily disable the virus checker.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WzeroMN

I cannot find any log file for Pack and go. Help / Support in Imatch5 just shows very recent runs of Imatch5. There is no such option in Pack and Go. Help simply brings up Imatch5 help.

In any case it is working now.

I copied the file that was failing to verify to the desktop, deleted it, copied it back and ran again. This time it worked. I then ran Imatch again and did another pack and go. I then tried verify again and it worked.

I do not think I can be much more help at this time but it is a scary thing that happened. What was in the file and do you thinkam Iam  in any danger that I have lost something.

Mario

Sorry, I wrote log file. It's called protocol file. I will change that in the help or at least add a / log file.

And the help that opens when you click Help is indeed the IMatch help system. But you should land on the "Pack & Go" topic? And there it should read:

Pack & Go writes a detailed protocol file to the file IMatchPackAndGo.txt. The file is created in the TEMP folder on your system. You can open the file by clicking on the link at the top of the protocol. The protocol file lists each file packed, the results of the diagnosis and compact operations etc. Review it if Pack & Go reports a warning or runs into an error.

QuoteI copied the file that was failing to verify to the desktop, deleted it, copied it back and ran again. This time it worked.

This sounds like some other software had the file locked or something.
It would help to see the protocol file (check your TEMP folder) and also know the name of the file you copied back and forth.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WzeroMN

I will try to remember and do this if it happens again. It was the very last file in the list when you verify. It looked like all those that worked before except it was hung on that very last file in the progress window. Have no idea how it was locked and doubt it was since I would not have been able to copy or delete it in that case.

The file name that it hung on was the settings database
Imatch5.pts

I have no virus  checker other than that built in to windows itself. If it blocks something I get a message. I got none.

I assume you mean the link is in the protocol file found in temp? It would be easier if opening help presented a link to log files.

Mario

IMatch5.pts is the global settings database IMatch uses.
To backup this file, IMatch must be closed - which is why Pack & Go requires IMatch to be closed.

Check:
Did you start IMatch while Pack & Go was running?
Do you run scripts in IMatch which may cause IMatch to 'hang' in memory, even when no Window is visible?
A help file cannot link to files on your hard disk - security considerations.
The relevant contents of the protocol file are displayed in the Protocol tab in Pack & Go, so you rarely need to access the protocol file directly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

WzeroMN

No scripts and I did not start it. The run took only seconds until it got to the hang, maybe 10 seconds or less. Ok about the link, I understand. Running in W10 here. I had run Imatch a few times and mostly using file commands to rearrange my photos using Ctl A  Ctl X and Ctl V and then removing some data base entries and then going to start backup from inside Imatch. I closed Imatch as directed and when the backup ended I ran verify. That is when the trouble started. I also ran it by starting from start menu while Imatch was closed and tried the verify several times. I then closed all, copied the failing file to the desktop, and copied it back. Not sure if I deleted before copying back but if not I obviously did a replace.
After that it ran and I have not had a problem since. If I do I will try to remember to get the log.