Separate and dockable windows for Categories>Categories and Categories>Current

Started by dadu, June 30, 2014, 06:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadu

In IMatch 3.x, you could have the Assign Categories window, the Category Splasher, and the current user-created categories that were assigned to a specific image ALL DISPLAYED AT THE SAME TIME.

This made for a quick workflow:
- select image or images
- then add new and/or assign (infrequently used) existing categories on the fly with the floating Category Assignment window
- then use the visible Category Splasher window as needed to assign your most frequently used categories
- at the same time, and ALL THE WHILE, you could see what categories were assigned to that particular image.

See screenshot for further clarification.

This is not possible in IMatch 5
In order to duplicate this, the Categories>Categories and Categories>Current tabs in the Categories panel need to made separable and floatable/dockable.  OTHERWISE, you are constantly clicking back and forth to see what categories are currently assigned to an image (Current) and then back to assign categories (Categories) that are not in the Favorites panel.  Very inefficient when compared to IMatch 3.6!

Please add this back in Mario!   :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinus

You can do, I think, the same in IM5.
You have a category-panel, where you can see, what is assigned, a category-window, you have Apps with Cat-Infos, you can have infos for each thumb with the ? in the thumb and so on.

I think, IM5 offers a lot more information.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

dadu

Sinus,
Please show me a screenshot where you can view all those items I describe, AT THE SAME TIME, in IMatch 5 (no mouse hovering or clicking between screens allowed!) and then I will believe you.  ;-)  See my screenshot from IMatch 3.6 as a reference.

Currently it is not possible in IMatch 5.

Mario

For the time being....

I will ship a new HTML Template Category Dashboard with the next build which displays the categories of the currently assigned file. Looks cool. 10 minutes work. IMatch 5 makes some things real easy.

I've also updated the file window to update AppPanels when category assignments are changed, this was not done before.

We'll see how many comments and upvotes we get for this request and then decide if and how to implement it.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I noticed in this little test that the categories are not sorted when a filter: function is used together with {File.Categories}. I have this fixed also for the next build.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

dadu

This is GREAT, Mario.  I like the addition of keywords, as well! I look forward to the new build.

I keep spreading the word about IMatch and your great support!!!!

:) :) :) :)

sinus

Quote from: dadu on June 30, 2014, 07:46:25 PM
This is GREAT, Mario.  I like the addition of keywords, as well! I look forward to the new build.

I keep spreading the word about IMatch and your great support!!!!

:) :) :) :)

Yep, the support from Mario is always outstanding!

Here, what I can see with the current version without format the stuff exactly.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

PaulS

+1 to the original request.

While categorizing images recently, I was moving regularly between the Current and Category tabs and wishing to have them as separate panels.  If it were not too difficult to implement and wasn't a big performance impact, I would find it useful to have even more category panels (3, 4, even 6 or more), but would certainly be very happy just to have the Current tab separate.

For me, a big advantage of the Current tab over the App Panel, is that it can also be used to assign and unassign categories when selecting multiple images.  That is, one can categorize a new image by also selecting an image with similar categories and then selecting each category that is common.

Canay

+2 to the original request

I keep trying to separate the current panel from the category panel so I would like this feature.

editing to say that I just discovered the APP Panel and I put it above the category panel. So this works for me when I am going through a folder and want to verify that I have the categories correct. I can see what categories are assigned and change it if necessary.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: PaulS on July 01, 2014, 01:20:06 AM
+1 to the original request.

While categorizing images recently, I was moving regularly between the Current and Category tabs and wishing to have them as separate panels.  If it were not too difficult to implement and wasn't a big performance impact, I would find it useful to have even more category panels (3, 4, even 6 or more), but would certainly be very happy just to have the Current tab separate.

For me, a big advantage of the Current tab over the App Panel, is that it can also be used to assign and unassign categories when selecting multiple images.  That is, one can categorize a new image by also selecting an image with similar categories and then selecting each category that is common.

+10  8)