Unexplainable change of "date modified" of random files

Started by ubacher, September 11, 2015, 06:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I have set up Indexing to  set the Flag as REJECT (i.e. RED) on modified files.

Because of this I find every now and then that some files have this red flag set even though I have not knowingly
changed them.

Investigation shows that these files show indeed a recent  modified date. I can not see how an external program
can touch these files (Some are RAW files). I am stumped.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Mario: Could you check the attached log please. The dates of the modified files are 09.11 07:38 (32 files all in one directory)
There is a gap in the log at this time? Was Imatch flushing the queue as the log seems to indicate?
Any chance this could touch files?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

IMatch only changes files when it writes back metadata, or you use tools like Modify EXIF date and time, JPEG rotation etc.

The FlushQueue in the log you apparently refer to is just the file system monitor in IMatch processing events. At this time IMatch has received event notifications from Windows about changes in the file system. So something was going on in the file system on your computer.

I see that you have launched Photoshop at 07:05:05 and that IMatch starts ingesting files from the folder D:\Foto Cache\2015-09-01 FALL\201.... a couple of minutes later. It stands to reason that the files were changed in Photoshop.

If something modifies your files and you don't know what it is, use a tool like FileSystemMonitor from SysInternals to get more information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I assume FileSystemMonitor will not help me if I detect a change hours or days later.

The files that were changed were so different from what I was working on (they were of 2012) that I can not
imagine what (program) would have changed them.

Not a problem as such. But strange and worrisome.