Pack, Go & shut down PC

Started by nacho02, September 09, 2015, 01:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nacho02

Hello,

lately I find myself having to stay awake longer than I would like to after finishing my work with IM5, until Pack & Go is finished. Especially if I rund a compact & optimize process...

I would like to request a radio button to opt-in for shutting down the computer after completion. It would be nice to have IM5 let me know if the last BU action was succesfull when starting PAck & Go the next time round.

Thanks!

Ignacio
Ignacio

Mario

Should not your real backup software be set to shut-down the PC after completion?
I mean, Pack & Go was designed to quickly transfer settings and database between computers, not to replace your backup software And if you have a backup software, you don't need P&G, except for it's original purpose...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nacho02

probably me being stupid, but even if I did use another sw for doing Back-Ups of my files... why would I not use Pack&Go to Back-Up my IM5 Database??

I like Pack & Go. I understand you are being careful so that we do not rely on P&G for our B-U's, but if you mean it seriously, then why bring this window everytime we close IM5?  ;) See attachment..

Still. I would love to see the feature implemented, even if it's for only moving DBs.

Thanks in advance!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ignacio

Panther

Hmmm - I'm kinda confused now about using Pack&Go.  I don't really have or do anything on this particular PC that I need any special/fancy backup software to deal with (and I've been burned in the past with having made backups using proprietary backup software and then finding out that the restore doesn't actually work when the time comes that I need it), so normally I just have Windows make a copy of anything I need to preserve onto a separate external/removable drive occasionally and set it aside in case I ever need it.

However, I knew that with my database I would (a) be making pretty frequent changes that I would want to preserve/backup frequently, and (b) there would probably be relevant stuff scattered around in places I might not think to look and that just trying to do a DIY backup by copying files would probably not be the optimal approach.  So, I was really happy to see iMatch have its own, special purpose backup mechanism specifically designed to backup (and restore) everything it needs.  (I still make a separate, simple copy of everything I can think of every once in a while anyway, just in case).

But now it sounds like maybe that's not what Pack&Go is for (despite the pop-up message noted in the post above), and I need to go find a different backup program to do this?

jch2103

I think what Mario was suggesting was that, while Pack and Go will make a copy of your IMatch settings, you'll still want to back that P&G file up (i.e., off of the computer) as well as anything else on your computer you want to protect (e.g., your photos). Perhaps you're already doing that with your current method. Having multiple physical copies of important files is always a good idea in any event.

John

Mario

The Pop-up message is there to remind users who don't do backups (and believe me, there are many!) to backup at least their IMatch stuff. I cannot do more. But the main purpose of P&G is, as the name suggests, you pack & go with your files to another computer, e.g. when you use a desktop in the studio and a Notebook while shooting on-location, during your vacation etc.

A regular (daily!) backup with generations is mandatory. And if you have such a solution in place (which everybody should) you just include your IMatch database. IMatch scripts and settings are either in the per-user configuration folder or per-app configuration folder. And these folders should be included in every backup, because most applications store critical data in these folders. I backup my IMatch databases daily with my regular system backup, and I keep these daily backups for several weeks in case I need to restore something.

Pack & Go can be used as a backup solution. But what does a P&G backup help if your system is unable to boot and you cannot restore it from a regular backup. The backup features introduced in Windows 8 and later can be easily configured to include all per-user and per-app configuration settings as well as your IMatch database. And then you don't need P&G anymore - except for it's original purpose of comfortably synching IMatch databases and all other IMatch files between computers.

Tip: You can disable the Pack & Go prompt during IMatch shut-down under Edit > Preferences > Application: Settings > Backup Reminder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook