.xmp_original files ? How to avoid/get rid of?

Started by ubacher, September 11, 2015, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I find besides the .xmp files I have .xmp_original files in my folders. Created by exiftool.

Further investigation: I run an exiftool "script" which modifies the xmp files. This seems to generate
the .xmp_original files. Should I specify:
-overwrite_original  ?

Or should I run a script specifying
-delete_original
afterwards?

jch2103

Quote from: ubacher on September 11, 2015, 09:00:57 PM
I find besides the .xmp files I have .xmp_original files in my folders. Created by exiftool no doubt.
Is that new that they don't get cleaned up?  Any setting I got wrong?

ExifTool creates .xmp_original files when it has problems updating the original .xmp file; i.e., it first creates the .xmp_original file, then deletes it on successful completion of .xmp file update, so if unsuccessful they get left behind. You may want to confirm that the .xmp files contain all the updates you intended to make (next time, anyway).
John

Mario

QuoteFurther investigation: I run an exiftool "script" which modifies the xmp files. This seems to generate
the .xmp_original files. Should I specify:

ExifTool by default keeps the original file unless you specify options to replace the original file without backup. Please read the ExifTool documentation for details and the meaning and consequence of options like -overwrite_original. Manipulating files with ExifTool from whatever script while IMatch is running may also cause unexpected side effects. I neither endorse nor test such scenarios so beware!!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

I don't think exiftool deletes the backup file unless explicitly specified.

I see that Imatch adds -overwrite_original_in_place when it updates.

I added same to my preset and now the backupfile no longer exists/stays.