Possibility to create a copy of datadriven category trees as normal categories

Started by BenAW, August 04, 2013, 03:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenAW

This is especially useful for migrating IDI manager users.
Presently you can convert a datadriven cat into normal categories. For @Keywords this is not possible for obvious reasons.
Propose to make for both cases an option to copy the underlying tree under a new category as normal categories.
The master cat can remain. If you don't need that anymore, it can be easily removed.
The "Convert" option for datadriven cats can be removed imo.

Ferdinand

Quote from: BenAW on August 04, 2013, 03:29:49 PM
Presently you can convert a datadriven cat into normal categories. For @Keywords this is not possible for obvious reasons.

Yes you can.  See:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=288.0

The copy and paste also works for data-driven cats, the difference being that in the keyword case the pasted category is normal, whereas in the data-driven case it is still data-driven.  But it can be converted to normal using the Convert option.

Quote from: BenAW on August 04, 2013, 03:29:49 PM
The "Convert" option for datadriven cats can be removed imo.

I disagree.

BenAW

QuotePresently you can convert a datadriven cat into normal categories. For @Keywords this is not possible for obvious reasons.
I'm talking about a CONVERT here, but your suggestion seems a good way to create a copy of the @Keywords tree as normal categories, hadn't thought of this route yet.

Still I feel it would be good to have a Copy Tree iso a Convert Tree.
The Copy can be used for ALL datadriven cats, including the @Keywords. After the copy you can delete the originating datadriven cat if needed (except the @Keywords) and have a Convert in this way.
Gives more flexibility and a uniform user interface for all datadriven cats.