Reorder keywords. Add drag & drop in "Current Keywords"

Started by A1ex, September 12, 2015, 02:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A1ex

It will help to sort your keywords or give less importance synonyms or enything.

This option will useful for the people, who working with photo agencies as Alamy and many more.

If you find it interesting, like it please!

Mario

What do mean by drag & drop?
You want to drag what to where? What is the purpose of the drag? Why do you want this?

We need more details.

Please understand that feature requests may be considered for implementation months after they have been made. At least I will surely be unable to remember at that time why you want to drag and drop keywords...and where...

I think what you want is a way to re-arrange the order in which keywords appear in the keywords panel, and how they are thus written to files.

Drag and Drop will be impossible because of how the Keyword Panel is implemented. It uses a XAML-based render surface so we can have all the cool bold font, underlines, and colors.

I could envision a menu which opens when you right-click a keyword, with options to move a keyword up/down or to top/bottom.
I will also need to check each feature in IMatch which deals with keywords, especially during import, mapping, thesaurus lookups, consolidation between flat and hierarchical keywords etc. to ensure that no module changes the order of keywords. This will cause quite some work. And I cannot tell or control whether ExifTool sorts keywords and under which conditions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

A1ex

So, I suggest to do it like that:

Better yet, be able to set hotkeys for this buttons

How difficult is it?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Quote from: A1ex on September 26, 2015, 08:53:14 AM
How difficult is it?
Quite. It's not only the re-ordering in the keyword panel, it's also checking each part of IMatch which deals with keywords and to ensure that keywords remain in the order in which you set them. Problem areas are things like mapping between hierarchical and flat keywords on import & export, thesaurus lookups and many other things which internally sort keywords alphabetically or use data-structures which automatically create a certain sort order.

No 'Likes' or comments from other users for this FR so far. As I said, most users don't care about the order of their keywords, and most software displays keywords in alpha order anyway.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

A1ex

Well, I understand, it is inappropriate.

Then I have one more idea that can help me. I don't think that for this need to create new topic, because my other idea aims on same objective(if I'm wrong, I'll do it).

Example: I selected one jpeg file with keywords. Keywords contain synonyms(orange font). How I can fast delete  only all synonyms(orange font), without parent keywords(white font)? Now I know only one way, ctrl+Lmouse on each synonym. Maybe it can be done with a script or anything else or perhaps very simple add one button with this function in "Current keywords" field?

It will help save much time, because, if the image has a lot of keywords, this option will reduce the number of keywords keeping the parent keywords(white text), which are the most important.

Mario

None of the metadata standards (IPTC, XMP) has a concept for 'synonyms'. IMatch does all this. After you have added synonyms to keywords, they become 'normal' keywords. Only via the IMatch thesaurus and the lookups IMatch performs it is able to tell whether a keyword found in the metadata is a keyword or a synonym by your definition.

I'm sorry, but there is no command to delete all keywords which can be found in the synonyms in the thesaurus.
It could be implemented, but there may be issues. e.g. when a keyword is both a keyword and a synonym - which may or may not affect you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator