Pseudo-Folders

Started by jeknepley, September 29, 2015, 08:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeknepley

Some programs, when you want to add files to them, don't allow drag & drop. Their only option is via Windows Explorer. While this usually isn't a problem, there are times when the files I want to use are based on categories whose images come from numerous different folders.

Here's my wish (dream) - I wish that IMatch could make a group of images like this magically appear as if they were in a folder (pseudo-folder) for such programs. At present, what I do in IM is create a temp-folder and copy the category-file-collection into it.

I use Proshow Producer a lot and occasionally start a new show with its "Wizard" - which insists on getting files only from explorer. If I don't use the Wizard, I can drag & drop from IMatch just fine - but the Wiz does occasionally add value/convenience to my starting point. Just wishing...

Mario

I think there are ways (rather complex ways) of creating virtual folders or drives in the Windows file system.
Microsoft does it with the "Libraries" feature, and backup software like TrueImage or Macrium Reflect do it to "mount" a backup as a regular disk.

I could envision that a similar thing could be done in IMatch, but there are many technical challenges, IMatch would need to run, the database would have to be loaded and all that. Rather unlikely.

What would be easier is some sort of functionality which allows you to "export" all files in a category into a physical folder on your disk - but as links (symlinks) to the original file, not as a real physical copy. This would be much easier.

I suggest you open a feature request so other users can see this and discuss and like it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Thanks, Mario.

I'll post a feature request tomorrow.