I want to copy a file and then rename the copy.

Started by ubacher, October 28, 2015, 08:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

I want to copy a file and then rename the copy. I think this is a frequent action one
wants to perform. (Or maybe only for me - since I do not allow duplicate file names in my db?)

I can not do that with the renamer (right?) - except in two steps.

With the batch processor I can write a (re-encoded) copy (certain formats only) and specify the name of the copy.

My question for discussion:
1. Should I request an enhancement for the renamer?
or
2. Should I request a change to the batch processor in the form of allowing "copy" as an option in the Format and Size dialog?

Mario

When you copy a file in IMatch with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and the target folder already has a file with the same name, IMatch automatically renames the copy to make it unique. Then press <F2> to rename the copy a name of your liking. Neither the Batch Processor nor the Renamer are intended to copy files around.

If you copy multiple files or use drag & drop, the same happens. IMatch detects existing files with the same name and asks you what to do (skip, replace, make unique name).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: ubacher on October 28, 2015, 08:22:41 AM
My question for discussion:
1. Should I request an enhancement for the renamer?
or
2. Should I request a change to the batch processor in the form of allowing "copy" as an option in the Format and Size dialog?

So my answer is for this:

1) no
2) no

I can only speak for me, but I do seldom renaming copied files, hence this is not necessary.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ubacher

The help file for the renamer says it can be used to:
Distribute (Export) files by moving and copying them into existing or dynamically created folders

I can use the renamer to rename the file and then copy it. What I need is to copy it first and rename it after.
The batch processor lets me create a copy and then rename this copy. Problem is that it rewrites/recodes the file.

Background:
I custom sort a set of files.
I write the sequence into an attribute.
I copy the sorted files (to a sub-folder) and rename them, prefixing the sequence number.
This way I obtain a set of files which will appear in the wanted sequence in Windows i.e. outside of Imatch.

Mario

This functionality is not implemented in the Renamer. It is a tool to rename files, copying them to somewhere else is optional. The Batch Processor is designed to generate converted versions of files, in different file formats, and with added text and other things.

IMatch allows you to copy files via drag and drop, the clipboard, and via Favorites.
There is no "Copy file to this folder and then rename it as such" feature. I doubt that more than you and maybe a handful users will ever have a use for something so specific. Add a feature request and then we see how many likes and comments it gets. If there is a sufficiently large number of users who would like to have the functionality you describe for your specific purpose, I will consider adding something.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Usually the real name is somewhere in the Metadata.
And your sequence-filename is in the Attribute.

So you can do simply this:

1) Take the sequence - name and make it to the real filename
2) Copy this renamed files to your subfolder
3) Take again the real name and give your files again the real name

I think, then you have what you must have and this tasks above are simple and possible now with the IMatch-tools.
Markus

ubacher

sinus: No need to make it that complicated:

1. Renamer preset to copy the files to a subfolder (will generate the folder if it does not exist)
2. Switch to the sub-folder
3. Run another renamer preset to rename the files  (prepending the sequence number)

It's just that I think copy first and rename after would be much used.  ( Would that not be used more
often than rename first and then copy????)

sinus

My way is not complicated, I do it from time to time, goes easy and fast (of course presets).

I thought, your subfolder is not indexed by IMatch.

If yes, I do not understand, what is the problem. And no, not for me, first copy, then rename.

But finally is important, that it works for you.
Markus

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on October 28, 2015, 03:46:39 PM
It's just that I think copy first and rename after would be much used.  ( Would that not be used more
often than rename first and then copy????)
From my experience, most users never use the copy in the Renamer at all. They only use the Renamer to rename files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator