stacked file counts

Started by Joe Austin, October 29, 2015, 10:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Austin

Why is it that, when I load the @All category in my file window, I see "39000 files, 163 stacked"

But when I set the file properties filter to "Hide stacked files" - Inverted,  I only get 17 stacked files in the filtered window?

Mario

Insufficient information, sorry.
From the information you have given so far, I can only say "I don't have the slightest idea".

Run a diagnosis, then repeat.
Latest IMatch version installed?
Anything reported in the log file that is a warning or an error?

Are there really 163 stacked files?
When you don't invert, are the numbers correct?
Other filters active?
Determine the files affected affected by this, and which files fail to show up in the inverted case. Anything specific?

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Where do you see the 163 stacked information? Screenshot maybe would help.

Joe Austin

Quote from: Mario on October 30, 2015, 08:44:32 AM
Insufficient information, sorry.
From the information you have given so far, I can only say "I don't have the slightest idea".

Run a diagnosis, then repeat. Diagnosis is clean
Latest IMatch version installed? yes
Anything reported in the log file that is a warning or an error?  searched the log for 'warning' and 'error', nothing

Are there really 163 stacked files?    That is what I was trying to determine
When you don't invert, are the numbers correct? ?
Other filters active? No
Determine the files affected affected by this, and which files fail to show up in the inverted case. Anything specific? I was trying to determine what the 163 stacked files were.  I can't say which files are affected because I can't find them.

I have attached three screen shots showing the file window accounting for no filter, hide stacked files on, hide stacked files on and inverted.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinus

Sorry, I see at the moment also not a way to search for stacked files, to find them. I looked also in the scripts, and in the collections, until now I did not found a way, to "simply" see all stacked files.
I have 34'000 files stacked from totally 220'000 files.

But I do the stacking by a metadata-field, so I can easy find all stacked files.
But if you do not know (or have not really stacked), what files are stacked, then I see not a way now.

Hope, Mario or someone can lift the secret.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Joe Austin

I think I found my answer.   The file window includes version stacked files in the count, but the filters do not operate on them.   The 93 files not displayed by the filter must be version stacks, but I don't see a way to isolate them.

ubacher

to sinus:  you say:
QuoteI did not found a way, to "simply" see all stacked files.

Can you not filter under File Properties > Hide Stacked Files + Invert?

Mario

Quote from: Joe Austin on November 01, 2015, 05:29:29 PM
I think I found my answer.   The file window includes version stacked files in the count, but the filters do not operate on them.   The 93 files not displayed by the filter must be version stacks, but I don't see a way to isolate them.
The File Window does not consider or load stacked files. This is the purpose of stacking, to get the files out of the way. This is why filters don't consider them as well. Filters always work with what you "see" in the file window. The file window contents (scope) is what filters operate on, and when you hide files in stacks, they are not part of the scope any longer. To make filters work on stacked files, you need to expand the stacks so the files hidden in the stack become visible in the file window. The exception are the filters which work on stacks, like "Hide stacked files".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: ubacher on November 02, 2015, 08:24:30 AM
to sinus:  you say:
QuoteI did not found a way, to "simply" see all stacked files.

Can you not filter under File Properties > Hide Stacked Files + Invert?

I must look into this again. But why then it works not for Joe?
Mario has answerd this just above, I must check this.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Joe Austin

Quote from: Mario on November 02, 2015, 09:00:38 AM
Quote from: Joe Austin on November 01, 2015, 05:29:29 PM
The File Window does not consider or load stacked files. This is the purpose of stacking, to get the files out of the way. This is why filters don't consider them as well. Filters always work with what you "see" in the file window. The file window contents (scope) is what filters operate on, and when you hide files in stacks, they are not part of the scope any longer. To make filters work on stacked files, you need to expand the stacks so the files hidden in the stack become visible in the file window. The exception are the filters which work on stacks, like "Hide stacked files".

I understand the intention, the problem seems to be (at least in my case) that the properties 'Hide Stacked - inverted' filter only makes the exception for regular stacks,  not for version stacks, leaving no way to find version stacked files systematically.

Mario

Quote from: Joe Austin on November 02, 2015, 09:49:16 PM
I understand the intention, the problem seems to be (at least in my case) that the properties 'Hide Stacked - inverted' filter only makes the exception for regular stacks,  not for version stacks, leaving no way to find version stacked files systematically.
This is correct. There are features to show hide masters/versions, but no feature to show/hide files stacked under a master. If you need such a thing often, I suggest you add a feature request. But all versions are hidden when you collapse the master so I saw no reason to add yet another option. It confuses people.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator