Re-link files that have been moved?

Started by paulrus, November 13, 2015, 05:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulrus

I store all my image files on a server's RAID array, but I run iMatch on my local computer (using a local SSD for iMatch's database).  Recently I had to add a new array and as part of the process I had to move my entire library of images to the new array.  Nothing has changed except the UNC path to the images.

Is there a way to get iMatch to quickly replace the path to the images & relink everything without re-scanning everything?

I tried looking through the docs but couldn't quite find anything like this situation.

Thanks,

Paul

thrinn

Hi Paul,
you can use the Relocate command to tell IMatch that your folders have moved to another location. Just search for "relocate" in the help, the command is documented at the end of the "File Management in IMatch" section.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

paulrus

Thanks I'll look into it. 

It must be one of those linguistic things - to me "relocate" means to move something, not find something that has already been moved.  Maybe here in the midwest we're misusing the term.

-Paul

Aubrey

Paul,
When one looks at the dictionary meaning you are correct about relocate!
What you are trying to do is find files that have been relocated.

Isn't English a wonderful language.

Aubrey

Ferdinand

Quote from: paulrus on November 13, 2015, 06:19:36 PM
It must be one of those linguistic things - to me "relocate" means to move something, not find something that has already been moved.  Maybe here in the midwest we're misusing

What you're saying makes sense, but meaning is often context-specific.  How I view this is that you've moved the file outside of IMatch and now you have to relocate the reference inside IMatch to point to the correct location. 

Lightroom calls this "Locate", which is similar but different.