Feedback on metadata write back progress

Started by Mees Dekker, November 15, 2015, 08:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

I could not find a previous request for this, but if it is already submitted, please ignore this request.

When I try to writeback a lot of files with metadata "write back pending", a small progress window (in the middle of the screen) states how much time is still needed for completion. This remaining time is most likely calculated from the number of files still to be processed, divided by the number of files that were written back per second/minute over the last x seconds/minutes. It therefore does not give any information about the number of files that still is to be processed or the number of files processed per second/minute. So you cannot conclude from the time still needed, whether there is any progress at all or that the writeback process is halted or very slow for any reason.

I think it would be helpful if the progress window would also state the number of remaining and/or the progress per second/minute on a realtime basis. The current message leaves you kind of "in the dark".

ovrevid

I support this request and think that the number of remaining files would be the most useful feedback.
-- Vidar

BanjoTom

— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

I've added an "n of m files processed" display for the 5.5.

The process is non-deterministic. Even if you process files of roughly the same site and format, write-back time per file may vary by several 100%, depending on the amount of data to write, the mapping rules, whether or not the file needs to be spliced and re-combined in order to make room for more metadata, file relations which cause propagation to versions and so on. The current estimate is as precise as it can be.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Mario

thanks for your swift reply and future action.

It is exactly this kind of support that makes me happy and why I recommend iMatch to anybody who has to manage digital assets. Just the other day I ran into a man who is managing a collection 60.000 copies of Ex Librisses and was thinking of building a database for himself. IMatch is the perfect solution for him.

Mees

Mario

Thanks  :D

After shipping the 5.5 upgrade (which currently occupies 120% of my time - don't ask) I will resume the standard ~ four weeks update cycle. This means bug fixes and enhancements again more quickly.

As you can see, small requests like your's often help many users. The fact that you've got two likes so quickly indicates that this is something many users wanted. A similar case was the "Goto file" and "Find files nearby" enhancement for the Map Panel (two weeks ago or so). Adding this feature took maybe two hours of my time, but many users will consider this a substantial improvement. It's often small tweaks like this which improve the workflow for many users. Keep them coming!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook