Select all files at Map Location

Started by clpratt, April 27, 2015, 10:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

I would like to directly select all files associated with a particular Location directly from the Map Panel.
I have set up several locations using the Map Panel and assigned these GPS coordinates and Locations to my photo files.  Locations show on the Map Panel as yellow named circles.
When I left click on a Location circle 2 options appear "Edit Location..." and "Apply Location". I would like an additional left click option "Show all files..." to select all photos at that particular location. Perhaps the circle would change to green to show files selection is active for that Location.
It would be nice also to click additional locations to include these files also, or select a radius for automatically including nearby locations.

Mario

What if not all files associated with the coordinates of that location are in the current scope (file window)?

+ For example, you work in the M&F view, and not all files on the selection location are in the current folder?
+ What if a filter is active which blends out some of the files on that location?
+ Or the search bar is active, hiding some files from that location?

IMatch cannot select files not in the current scope. How to deal with that?

Note: You already can select all files for a given location by:

1. Select the @All category or the Database node
2. Use the GPS filter and check the location(s) you want to see the files for:

To see only the files from one or more locations for a given folder / category / collection / time-line node:

1. Select the folder(s), categories(s) etc. to bring them into the file window
2. Use the GPS filter and check the locations

I don't think that adding a separate "select files from this location" with the associated problems for files being outside the scope etc. would bring that much "more" in terms of functionality that the filters we already have. But I'm open to any comments from other users regarding this feature, so please comment and Like this post if you want to have this.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Thank you Mario for your considered reply to my Feature Request. I can see your point about required files not being in the current scope.
But I want to see ALL files at the selected location on the Map Panel, ignoring any other selection criteria.
It would work similarly to the Metadata Panel where a parameter can be right clicked, "Find all files with this value.." is chosen, and this operation finds all files in the whole database, not just those in the current scope (file window).
In fact if Location names were automatically filled into the Composite\Location\Location\0 field (Feature Request?) the Map Panel search could perhaps run this Metadata Panel right click routine.
This feature would make it much easier to see all photos having that location without having to 1. Select the @All category or the Database node, 2. find and open the GPS filter then scroll and select the location.

Mario

This has been implemented for the 5.5. Not available yet.
You now can click a location circle on the map and use the "Find files at this location". This opens all files covered by the location in a result window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Hi Mario,
this is wonderful news, thank you so much.
Can't wait to try it when 5.5 is releases.

Chris